PDA

View Full Version : Just my luck

Scott Long
08-20-2007, 11:47 PM
So I am heading home from Virginia where we were visiting my wife's family, and we get about 150 miles out and I'm almost on empty. ~~~????

Stop and the SC is pouring gas out in front of the passenger rear tire.

I fill it up and jump on the higway and we make it almost to DC but it's raining bad and the gas is making my tire slippery. The car is spinning the rear out sideways at 70 mph and it's getting scary to drive. We stopped in Alexandria, VA and I'm at a hotel right now. I'm going to have my car towed to a shop in the morning and see if we can get the fuel line replaced. I'm guessing they can drop the tank and replace the section of bad line with brake line.

I swear it's never a dull moment in my life. I had my persian cat riding with me and my wife had our italian greyhound with her. So now we have our pets in the hotel with us and we have to stay the night here.

Pray that I can get my SC back on the road tomorrow.

Oh my car is slammed low to the ground, I also have the trunk full and the backseat has a computer and a tv in it. I am moving my stuff from VA to Dayton, OH. So my car is super low now with all the weight. I weighed it with a full tank and no luggage, and without me in it, it weighed 3880 lbs. I weighed my wife's Z24 with a full tank and no luggage and it was 2820 w/o me in it. I was shocked. That means hers is only 27xx lbs. with like a 1/4 tank of gas. My car (90 SC aod hardtop) is a heavy pig boat.

A1cntrler
08-20-2007, 11:57 PM
What the crap?!?!? Always something. You must have an understanding wife. Mine would have been pissed if something like that happened while we were on a trip in the SC...

My dad lives in Alexandria, but in a condo and with only a screwdriver and maybe a hammer in the closet so he would be of no help. As long as you have computer access up there you should be able to find anything. I bet you were having a hard time seeing with your wiper situation and the heavy rain up that way. Looks like a lot of rain for the rest of your trip to MI too. Best of luck to you Scott. At least it runs good now... Have you located the source of the leak?? Maybe some JB Weld or something (Duct Tape??:D ) like that will get you by until you can get it fixed for good...

quick35th
08-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Scott,

Hope you get your SC up and running soon. Replacing the fuel line is pretty simple so it shouldn't be that bad.

When you are all moved into Dayton, OH if you need any help with the car let me know. Columbus is not that far from Dayton.

Shane

Scott Long
08-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks Shane. If I don't get a place with a garage I'll at least be able to wrench on my SC at the Air Force Base because they have an auto hobby shop and you can rent the lifts and use the tools. In Mississippi I used the shop to change the oil in my wife's Z24. There were two guys in there doing an engine swap on a civic.

Larry, my wife is pretty understanding. She was pissed off and I was gonna try to drive it but it was just too dangerous and I figured if we stopped here this is a big enough area where I can find a shop to look at the car. There is a Goodyear Gemini right down the road (walking distance) from our hotel. I used to work for Goodyear so I'm going to go talk to them in the morning. The car is parked down a few exits at another hotel so I will have it towed over (USAA free towing!!!!).

My wife was calling my car all kind of names. She doesn't seem to understand the love/hate relationship my SC and I share. I just gave it a new ignition system and now it pulls this crap. I want to just put in a late model tank and do braided stainless fuel lines and an adjustable regulator. Maybe after the shootout that will be my fall project. Then I have an excuse to do a new exhaust.

Oh well I'm off to bed, my cat is climbing all over everything here and meowing really loud. Damn cat was just on top of the tv and almost walked across the keyboard of my laptop. The dog is better behaved than this cat and that's not usually the case.

Scott Long
08-21-2007, 12:14 AM
From what I can tell I think it's the main line or the return line leaking. I thought at first it was the tank itself but it seems more like the line. I can't really get under it to see much cuz it was wet, plus the car is very low especially with all my luggage and stuff in it.

Hopefully I'll be able to post an update sometime tomorrow. I'm loving this Sprint Broadband Mobile reciever I bought!

Ddubb
08-21-2007, 06:45 AM
How would the line just rupture like that ?? Weird .. there are many ways to patch it up to get home to replace the line. If your tank itself had a small hole or something you could use a bar of soap to seal it back up. ;)

- Dan

quick35th
08-21-2007, 08:59 AM
How would the line just rupture like that ?? Weird .. there are many ways to patch it up to get home to replace the line. If your tank itself had a small hole or something you could use a bar of soap to seal it back up. ;)

- Dan

The line over time rubs against the body and it wears a hole in the line. Its a commen problem and it happened on my old '89 XR7.

Shane

mywhite89
08-21-2007, 09:03 AM
I had to replace the fuel line on my car a few months ago. From the factory they are hard plastic lines. The ford dealer near me had them in stock and costed like $70.00 for the three lines that run from the tank up to the fuel filter area. They are steel lines now. Hopefully you are near a ford dealer, not that bad of a fix. I had just had to lower the one corner of my fuel tank. The lines up to the tank are those plastic style disconnects. One is a evaporator line i believe.

Good luck
Chris

Scott Long
08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Ok I'm about to have the car towed over to the local Goodyear to have them drop the tank and see what the problem is. Hope they can fix it today.

XxSlowpokexX
08-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Good luck..Its always something

A1cntrler
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
You back on the road yet Scott?? I would send the wife on ahead instead of making her wait.. Will make for a more realixing trip for you :p

Scott Long
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
They have to order the lines for it. The plastic line broke. We got another night at the hotel and we are going to look at an Audi S4 right now.

My car will be fixed tomorrow afternoon they said. Maybe I'll be driving the Audi and come back to get my car in a few days....

Andy 94SC
08-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Larry, my wife is pretty understanding.

I didn't know your wife's name was Larry.

Anyway, good luck Scott.

BLOWN38
08-21-2007, 04:43 PM
man wish i woulda caught this thread sooner. im about 20 mins south of where u r at and theres another guy that lives in arlington. i have a parts car sitting at my shop may have been able to rob the fuel line from.

A1cntrler
08-21-2007, 04:59 PM
man wish i woulda caught this thread sooner. im about 20 mins south of where u r at and theres another guy that lives in arlington. i have a parts car sitting at my shop may have been able to rob the fuel line from.

I never noticed you were from up that way. I grew up in Stafford and went to North Stafford High and Brooke Point High when it opened.. I still have friends in STafford, and my brother and mom live in Spotsylvania.. How long you been there?

Young-SC-Owner
08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
hope it got fixed!, i just caught a piece of roofing material in my front left with a nice ol nail:mad::mad:

expensive trip to the fire house huh

Scott Long
08-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Dang would have been nice to snatch the line off a parts car.

Goodyear in Springfield VA is fixing it for $360 parts and labor. Steeper than I wanted but really at this point have no choice.

I have already went through 2 tanks of premium fuel, 2 extra nights in a hotel, had to go out to eat (as cheap as we could that didn't include fast food and greasy junk food), luckily the tow was free because of USAA insurance.

They had to jack my car up with floor jacks just to be able to set the hoist arms under it to lift it. Also the tow guy had to use some makeshift ramps to get my back tires up higher so the rear bumper wouldn't rip off, it did drag the pipes a bit going onto the flatbed.

No one likes working on or towing lowered cars. I told them all it was factory stock suspension so they didn't refuse to service it. No one has probably seen an SC before so I doubt they know.

It should be done this afternoon.

Jacob_Royer
08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
How much you have it lowered? more than the 1.5 eibachs i guess...

BLOWN38
08-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I never noticed you were from up that way. I grew up in Stafford and went to North Stafford High and Brooke Point High when it opened.. I still have friends in STafford, and my brother and mom live in Spotsylvania.. How long you been there?

All my life. Dale City and Dumfries.

Scott Long
08-23-2007, 02:00 AM
How much you have it lowered? more than the 1.5 eibachs i guess...

There is only 1 finger of gap between the fender and top of tire, before I filled the trunk and backseat with a tv, computer, printer, and luggage, plus me and my cat. Right now the back is almost tucking tire. LOL. Rides good though haven't bottomed it out.

Got it back around noon today, $357.53 for new fuel lines and labor.

This car loaded down as much as it is, still averaged 26.81 mpg I couldn't believe it. Not bad if I might say so myself for an automatic. It was 3880 lbs. with a full tank and no luggage. So with me in it I weight 170 plus enough luggage to drop the rear end another inch and a half. This car has to be pushing close to 4300-4400 lbs. And it got 26.81 mpg average. I'm very impressed. :D

I just arrived at my dads about 30 minutes ago. The rest of the trip was uneventful.

A1cntrler
08-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Glad to see that you made it back safely Scott. Did you ever get those upper arms put on??

Ryan218
08-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Scott,

Hope you get your SC up and running soon. Replacing the fuel line is pretty simple so it shouldn't be that bad.

When you are all moved into Dayton, OH if you need any help with the car let me know. Columbus is not that far from Dayton.

Shane

1 hour at 80 mph :rolleyes: