How much HP can a stock tranny handle

thundrburd

My transmittion is about to that point where I want to rebuild it, it slips bad in second and third now and keeps dropping out of gear, so my question is should I tell the shop that I am having redo it that I want any special parts in it or is the stock tranny good to handle pretty much HP, I want to just do this one time and do it right, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Tony,

I highly recommend reading the first article on this page, titled Ford Transmissions 101.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

That article was written by one of the engineers that designed the 4R70W, and it goes in depth on what needs to be done to get them to handle a reasonable amount of power.

All of that aside, I don't know if any of the shops around here will be willing to build your 4R70W up for you (most of the shops around here are either Chevy biased or focused on simple rebuilds). I'd recommend talking to Alan (dirtyd0g on tccoa) or Darrin (Darrin on tccoa) about having a 4R70W built to meet your needs.

Hope that helps.

-Rod

Curtis,

Tony's car has a 4R70W (automatic). They typically don't stand up too well behind 400 hp in stock form, unless the driver has a very light foot.

-Rod

yeah i think i remember reading somewhere there only good to about 300hp past that your just asking for it

also a trany cooler is your friend, the real killer of tranys is heat

alright thanks Rod, and unfortunately I dont have a very light foot. I need to learn to make it a little lighter though, but I will have to read that article, thanks again

Back