Anything New on Pistons

Flex

I just dismantled my 94 block that I am planning to build up for a swap into my brother's 92 that I recently blew the hg's on.

The bore isn't bad on first inspection but it had some coolant sitting inside for awhile. Left some minor scars. I was thinking ahead if the machinist recommends an overbore.

What is available (if anything) for forged pistons. I read that Dave Dalke was looking to Wiseco for an offering but there is no follow up. Does anyone know of a forged part available or would a custom set still be required?

What is the cost for forged slugs and what overbores are available? Thanks for any info.

There are off the shelf pistons, but they aren't forged. Speed-pro makes them.

You can call Wiseco up and they will make you whatever piston you want. The machine shop you use will need to order them for you though due to specs.

Thanks, I found the Speedpro and Federal Mogul hypers. Any idea on the cost of the customs?

They would be around $80 bucks a piston. I would get the total seal rings regardless of the pistons you use.

Check out supersixmotorsports.com for the Wiseco forged pistons. My engine shop can get me Federal Mogul hypereutectic .030 overbore no problem. And you should definitely bore the cylinders with any rust scarring.

If going with custom piston such as WISECO. And you want to use
TotalSeal piston rings.

Make sure you know the piston ring width.
So you can order the proper ring lan width on the custom pistons.

Randy

I've been getting custom pistons now for a couple years from Wiseco. SSM has them for $775 and I can do better than that. Total seal rings will add $100 to the cost and despite what you read here, I have not seen any performance advantage from them. I do have them available though.

They are available in a variety of compression heights and ratios so you are free to specify what you want. Production takes about 4 weeks this time of year.

Believe me I've shopped around. Good luck getting them for any less money and no one except maybe SSM offers them "off the shelf."

Also keep in mind that with the 3.811 bore size ring choices are very limited. To get the best rings you have to go .030" overbore.

While we're at it, does anyone have a part number for bronze guides or a variation of (manganese bronze etc.). I am converting to 7 mm valves and need to know the length and diameter of the cast guides to get the correct part. Muchos gracias.

yea customs are the only forged one right now.

We use Wiseco(delk Performance.com).

also check into RPM-mustangs and Morana racing.

Back