fel-pro mls headgaskets

Can't tell you this would be the best or the cheapest place to buy.
This is where I buy mine , www.rockauto.com

Fel-Pro Perma Torque MLS COATED headgaskets
1997-98 mustang.
left side 9262 PT
right side 9263 PT

Heads and block should have a R-6 machined surface finish.
for best sealing.

Good luck Randy

If one uses a stock Block (not refinished surface)
but machined surfaced finished Heads, which HG is recommeded?
Use copper spray on both surfaces?

The Fel-Pro gaskets I listed have a black coating on both side
of them. So they are slightly more forgiving than the regular
uncoated MLS gaskets. The regular 4.2 UNCOATED MLS
gaskets need the R6 head block surface finish.& the
copper coating.

I am not sure the of the effect that a copper spay
would have on Fel-Pro MLS COATED 3.8 stang gasket
coatings.

If I remember right the coated MLS gasket were around
$120.00 to my door. You will also need to a Fel-Pro
upper gasket set for a SC bird. So you will end up
with two sets of head gaskets.

Randy

Last edited:
Yes the first few generations of MLS gaskets really needed that R6 surface. The newer coated ones are suppossedly more forgiving.

so what's the difference between the fel-pro mls gaskets for the 97-98 mustang #9262pt & #9263pt and the fel-pro mls gaskets for the supercoupe, #26199pt? the sc ones are about half the price of the mustang ones at rockauto so which one is the better one to use, I am going with the mpx and 25% od by the way.

According to Dave Dalke the SC ones were discontinued. So only choice is the mustang ones again.

Assumptions are that they were selling them and people were not taking the required steps to a smooth surface and to avoid issues pulled from the market. But know one knows why.

Assumptions are that they were selling them and people were not taking the required steps to a smooth surface and to avoid issues pulled from the market. But know one knows why

Liability issues..They cant sell a direct replacement gasket if it is not direct replacement and the calling for aftermarket probably wasnt great enough for them to continue with them as such.

If you can get the permatorque MLS gaskets listed for the SC, go for it. Otherwise get the Stang ones. I would put the Permatorque gaskets on dry as recommended by Felpro.

I used the stock replacement Felpro on my 90 with the ARP head studs. Those I did use copper spray on both the head and the block.

If you can get the permatorque MLS gaskets listed for the SC, go for it. Otherwise get the Stang ones. I would put the Permatorque gaskets on dry as recommended by Felpro.

RockAuto had the permatorque MLS sc headgaskets listed so I ordered a couple, they were $27 and change a piece, watch them e-mail me and say they're no longer available.:rolleyes:

Rock Auto no longer lists the 26199 anymore. I guess you got the last ones. :eek:

I think I did Dave, one came through fedex and one came through ups, the price for both was $67.08, a little more than the price of one of the mustang ones, maybe my luck is getting better, now i need to hit the va. megamillions lottery which is worth over 300 million tonight, if I hit I'll be at the shoot-out...lol :D

Back