PDA

View Full Version : 94 SC longblock in 90 SC

tydlwavs
08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I have my 94 parts car in pieces, but I am thinking about using the entire longblock in my 1990. If I have the 94 balancer and entire longblock assembly can I install this right into the 1990? I'd use the 94 eaton/plenum/tb too.

It's either this or rebuild the 90 bottom end.

Thanks,
Todd

XxSlowpokexX
08-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Just use everything from your 90...From the timing cover to harmonic balancer (Not the same). I would also swap out the cam as the 94/95 cams are garbage.

The long block itself will net you a windage tray, full floating pistons, slightly higher compression and better head gasket sealing due to a thicker deck on teh heads from what I been told (could be a myth)..So going to the 94 longblock is a godo thing..But if anything put your 90 cam in there

tydlwavs
08-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Is it necessary to use the 90 timing cover and balancer? Could I just drop in the longblock after a cam swap?

I guess I need to just get the motors out and side by side and then start asking the necessary questions.

XxSlowpokexX
08-22-2007, 02:35 PM
you need to use the 90 balancer and timing cover..No choice there...Thats why I would do a cam swap while I was at it..Ist easy at that point..Also head gasakets wouldnt be such a bad idea with soem ARP bolts

tydlwavs
08-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I guess what I need/want to know is why I need to use the 90 parts if I use the entire 94 longblock. I would use the entire engine from the 94 after some cleaning and new gaskets if I could.

Thanks,
Todd

David Neibert
08-22-2007, 11:04 PM
I guess what I need/want to know is why I need to use the 90 parts if I use the entire 94 longblock. I would use the entire engine from the 94 after some cleaning and new gaskets if I could.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd,

The 94/95 SC has a different style of crank sensor, trigger wheel and balancer (not compatible with your EEC or wiring harness). The timing cover is where the crank sensor mounts. I know that a late model replacement timing cover has provisions for mounting either style of crank sensor...don't know if that is true about parts that were used for production.

David

NickM
08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Actually, the early crank sensor mounts on the front of the block, and the later blocks still retain the mounting holes on the block for this.
Running a '94 long block in my '89, and I retained the timing cover.
(But you do have to swap the balancer and crank sensor.)

Nick

XxSlowpokexX
08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
There you go. You can keep the cover intact. Just be careful removing and reinstalling the balancer

David Neibert
08-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Actually, the early crank sensor mounts on the front of the block, and the later blocks still retain the mounting holes on the block for this.
Running a '94 long block in my '89, and I retained the timing cover.
(But you do have to swap the balancer and crank sensor.)

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for correcting my error. After looking at a few pictures I can see that the early model crank sensor does not attach to the timing cover, but onto the block like you said.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/rebuild/pumpbolts.jpg

David

PS: Ignore the green circles.

NickM
08-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Nick,

Thanks for correcting my error. After looking at a few pictures I can see that the early model crank sensor does not attach to the timing cover, but onto the block like you said.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/rebuild/pumpbolts.jpg

David

PS: Ignore the green circles.

I thought those circled bolts were for the reinforcement brackets on the '96 SC's trigger...

Nick