EEC module for 89 SC with AOD-Code 97???

pencilneck

Hi, my neighbor has a Snap-On Scanner and his code read on my car was 97-a code which he said was not in his book. Also his scanner said that there was probably a "voltage problem" inside the EEC-IV module. The symptoms are really fine running going to really crappy (Very rough, cutting out, like bad ignition) then fine again, no obvious reason why. I pulled the module out and was planning on replacing it, but wanted to check here to see if there was an updated module that I should use or do I just try to replace it with one from NAPA? My neighbor says maybe the computer spits out bad codes because it isn't working right to begin with, makes sense to me.

Here's a suggestion....

Before investing in a new EEC, you might want to consider the DIS module. Try putting some heatsink compound under the DIS (available at radioshack). The DIS will cause ignition problems if it gets too hot. If that doesn't clear up the problem, try swapping out the DIS. You can probably pick up a good used one fairly cheap, if you can't find a loaner to test with. Also, make sure the 2 bottom screws are installed on the DIS. They provide the signal ground. It is rare that the EEC will go bad (not saying that it won't, but it is rare).

Thanks for the thought provoking reply, Larry. It does seem that the problem comes about after around 5 minutes of driving. I found the code 97 on the Fordfuelinjection.com website, it was only something to do with the AOD tranny. I will try to find another DIS unit to swap out and will try to mount some insulation under the module, too. Darn good idea. Do you know what the capacitor looking thing is attached to the DIS unit? Does it need changing, too? Thanks again, Roy

Capacitor???

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing... The DIS module is the flat rectangular box (about 1/2 to 3/4" thick) on top of the bracket that holds the A/C compressor. It has a harness connector on each end. I think you might be thinking about the coil-pack. It has a capacitor on the wiring harness that is used for noise suppression. Don't put anything under the DIS module except for heat-sink compound. It is white and comes in a small tube (available at RadioShack). I have also read that something called "artic silver" works. Just spread a thin film on the bottom plate of the DIS so that it can transfer heat to the bracket.

one more thing...

There shouldn't be any codes from an AOD. It is a hydraulically controlled transmission (via the Throttle Valve connection) and doesn't provide any signals to the EEC. The electronically controlled trannies came along in later models.

Code 97

If I remember correctly, if you're getting code 97, that means one of your 02 sensors is emitting a signal, which shows that you're running too rich or too lean. It can also mean that your Overdrive Cancel Indicator light failed, but the last time I checked there is no bulb in the overdrive position. (in the cluster)

I had very similar problems to yours, I spent hours on here asking people as many questions as I could, and it just turned out to be the DIS module. Give that a shot for now, if it is the original module you may want to replace it anyways.

-Dave-

Thanks guys, there are currently 3 DIS modules on ebay, I have bid on one of them. The coil pack that has the capacitor looking thing attached to one corner looked like a part of the DIS system to me so that's what I was referring to. This is what I was wondering if I should replace. According to the Ebay sellers the DIS units are good for all models of Super Coupes, is this true? And yes the overdrive cancel light is the code I found on the Ford Fuel Injection.com site. Wow, would I ever love to drop a stroked 351W in there with a Holley electric choke 750 carb on top of it. If I were to run aluminum heads and intake I doubt the finished package would weigh much more than a fully functional SC with IC!!!! I love this car but I just hate working on it so much!!! If I had unlimited money and could pay a mechanic to do the work it would be another song, for sure, cause that little six is pretty sweet to listen to... once the boost kicks in.... How much hood clearance would it take to put a low rise alloy intake on a small block V-8??? Who here has done it?? Thanks, Roy

It is auction 140150443188, being sold from Tucson, Az. Looks like the seller has good feedback and he will guarantee the part to work. I am pretty convinced the DIS module is bad. I took mine off and put fresh dielectric under it and cleaned the pins and the car ran fantastic until it got hot and then again, a little bucking but not so bad as before. I'm letting it cool now and later will try it again, if it runs perfect again till hot I'll assume the DIS module could use replacing. Thanks guys. Roy

Back