Whats up with these codes??? Need help..

fastsc92

i was just driving my car and the check engine light came on....then went off. I went into the local store...came back out started the car and the light came on again. Then i realised i didn't have any tach reading. it was at 0. so i went to my friends house who has a scanner to pull the codes. on the way there it was fine...perfect in fact, but when i went to his house and tryed to start it to run the scanner it wouldn't start. I cranked it so many times. after about an hour we got it to run and pulled 2 codes. 212(Loss of ignition diagnostic monitor (IDM) input to EEC precessor/SPOUT circuit grounded) and a code 214 (Cylinder Identification (CID) ciruit failure). I ended up having to drive the car home...just barely. I ran every red light on the way. The car doesn't want to idle, so i had to stay on the gas. but the car runs perfect when its going. i cant figure this out, and the thing that sucks its....school starts tomrrow and i dont have a ride. Pain in the ass. If anyone could please help me out on this one....it would mean so much to me. Thanks alot guys...i can always count on you.

Try replacing your cam sensor. $30 from AutoZone and 15 minutes to replace. I had the exact same problems and exact same codes. Replaced the cam sensor and everything has been fine. The only thing I don't understand is why the car won't idle, I wouldn't image the cam sensor having any effect on the idle, maybe you have a vac leak or loose battery cables. When I towed my '89 home, I couldn't get it to idle and it would die if you let off the gas. I finally just had a few people help push it on the transport and found the problem to be that the battery cables were loose. Cleaned and tightened them up and all was fine.

i think its the cam or the crank sensor. Isn't the upshift light suposed to stay on while cranking if one of these are gone? Which one though? The light doesn't go on while i crank it. I just want to know if its the crank or the cam sensor before i buy one and figure out its not the right one. I was looking in my service manual and i think the CID memtioned in the codes has to do with the crank sensor. anyways....someone help me out on this....thanks a lot. oh ya also....i have no tach......not working since those codes started.

Its definitely your cam sensor. If the crank sensor was bad the car would not start at all. The cam sensor will make it hard to start. When you couldn't get it to start for a while, you probably flooded it. If for some reason the car does that again, hold the gas pedal to the floor and then try to start it.....when it catches let off the gas pedal.

JFYI: The upshift light is supposedly suppose to stay lit while cranking if the crank sensor is bad. I haven't had that sensor go yet so I can not comment if it will actually stay lit.

P.S. My tach stopped working too.

Last edited:
Yup, its your cam sensor

And upshift light only goes on when you are cranking the car when your crank sensor is pooched

oh ok....i didn;t know which one makes the light go on....i always forget. Anyways guys...thanks a lot. You really helped me out on this one. Tazer....thanks man....you seem to always reply to my posts and help me out. thanks once again guys. I'll be going to Autozone tomrrow to get the part. Any tips or tricks on how i should replace it?....where is it? If you dont feel like explaining....dont sweat it...i can look in my Cylmer book, just didn't know if there were any tricks to replacing it.

I thought that removing the supercharger belt made the swap a little easier. Just remove tension (18mm socket) on the S/C belt and slip it off. I think the bolt size is 7/32 for the cam sensor but don't quote me on that. I would put some towels around the sensor incase you drop the screws...they are small and easy to drop!

By the way....what the trick to making all the smoke (like in the picture below)?

11430969.ptp

I've been wanting to test my car out, break in the new tires and all.

no trick....just rev it up to 2000rpm....dump it and jump on the brakes...and let off the brake until they barely hold. and i just sat there. In that pic...i sat there for over a min. Thats a long time of just sitting there. count over 60 sec. right now...thats a long time. the tires were at 40mph. then the next day i did another one and the tread fell off the tire. hehe.....so no trick....just old tires, and a few friends.

upshift light?!?

exactly what the h@ll is it for(when my crank sensor went my upshift light didnt come on when trying to start it. the only time i've ever seen it was when i was rolling down the highway full throttle in fourth gear at about a buck twenty five (should i see it more often (is my messed)).

Back