DIs Module - Differences?

Mike8675309

o.k. I'm confused. I thought 1989 through 1993 DIS modules were the same. In fact a DIS off my 1990 is running my 1993 just fine.

So browsing Rock Auto I find:

1990 SC shows these options:

ACDELCO Part # F1959 More Info {#88921524}
MODULE,ELEK IGN CONT (DISTRIBUTOR-LESS) 112.89

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX231 More Info {D.I.S. MODULE}
2 Plug Connector Module 93.79

1993 SC shows these options:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX242 More Info {D.I.S. MODULE}
2 Plug Connector Module 239.79

ACDELCO Part # F1962 More Info {#88921542}
MODULE,ELEK IGN CONT (DISTRIBUTOR-LESS) 255.79

~~~, why the different part numbers, and even worse, the different prices?

You can buy the early model version and it will work on a 93 SC. Reportedly a few years ago there was a period of time when you could not purchase DIS Modules. That was when Standard began making all of them as opposed to who ever Ford had making them originally. At that time the internals were were changed so that they were all the same. But there was some design change made that resulted in the 91 and up having a different Ford PN than the 89-90. I can personally vouch though that you CAN run the early verion on a 92 at least with no problem. I know of NO reason you could not do so on a 93. There is a whole thread about this as well as a FAQ with all the DIS info (and part numbers) in the members section.

One minor difference with early modules...

I picked up a spare DIS a few years back for either my '92SC or my '93SHO (can't remember which). They both use the same module. My spare has one slight difference from the one on my cars. One of the mounting holes that the little bolts/screws go through is positioned a little off line from the original modules. It is on the bottom left. I haven't tried using it because the two bottom bolts provide grounding. It seems that maybe an earlier model SC or SHO used this DIS because it has Motorcraft stamped on it...

I'll be ordering this one out of rock auto. I have a discount code for them too:
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX231 More Info {D.I.S. MODULE}
2 Plug Connector Module 93.79

I bought two used units from eBay for around $30 each. Ialso bought a Borg Warner new one from O'Reilly's foraround$100.00 also with a lifetime warranty I am "saving". Don't leave home without one in the car along with heat sink grease though...LOL

Back