Project "Chill out" - Generic racing RAD install

Daspanka

After removing my OEM A/C condensor for my FMIC, and running hot on Road Atlanta this spring, I decided it was time to cool this bird back down. The accident after RA gave me some insurance $$ to play with so here goes. I decided to go with a Summit Ford/Mopar racing RAD instead of the Griffen. It was only $169, so I was able to buy all of the big pieces for my project for about what the Griffen alone costs. The Parallel Flow AC condensor is 12"x20" and came from Arizona AC kits. I want to keep my 10% OD but the IC is heat soaking on the track, so I bought two 11" 1300 CFM SPAL fans for my IC off Ebay. The RAD fan is a 16" Zirgo Chrome 3000 CFM. Since none of this is made for the car, all will have to be fitted and fabricated.

Attachments

• icfans.jpg
    icfans.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 115
  • rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 123
  • fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 118
  • condensor1.jpg
    condensor1.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 99
1st step, RAD install

The first step will be to fab in and install the Aluminum RAD. I decided to go with a generic "Mustang" style racing radiator from summit. The rad is 27"x19" dual-core. Fits perfectly in the hole left by the original rad and frame. Will have to fab up some mounts, though. So, I bought some aluminum sheets to cut mounts from. 1/16th 6061 for the structural mounts, and .063 5052 (Thanks KW!) for the shroud and "bling" covers for the top. I couldn't find a fan/shroud combo that I liked, so I bought the Zirgo 16" 3000CFM chrome fan and a 24"x24" sheet of 5052 to make the shroud. I also have some 8' 1/2"x1/2" aluminum angle pieces left over from a construction job. Can be bought from Home Depot, etc. Cut one of the angle pieces the right width and screwed it into the bottom of the RAD support as a lower mount. Cut the 24x sheet to fit across the end tanks and trimmed for the outlets. The end tanks stick up about 1/3" above the core, leaving a void for the shroud to work. JB welded angles on the ends of the sheet for mounts and will drill and tap the flanges on the rad to bolt to. My son Andrew was my "hole" engineer and produced a cardboard template to cut the fan hole. More as the project progresses.....
Daspanka

Attachments

• shroud1.jpg
    shroud1.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 107
  • shroud2.jpg
    shroud2.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 118
  • radcomplete.jpg
    radcomplete.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 119
  • radcomplete2.jpg
    radcomplete2.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 108
  • radinplace.jpg
    radinplace.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 175
your blower matchs the pulleys i got off you.. haha nice project..

what are they painted or what??? and what color if you dont mind telling me..:D;)

your blower matchs the pulleys i got off you.. haha nice project..

what are they painted or what??? and what color if you dont mind telling me..:D;)[/QUOTE

Thank you!
The color is a Duplicolor paint set called Metalcast. Supposed to look anodized. There is a metallic base coat and then either red, blue, or smoke translucent top coat.

looks real nice, I'm also going to go with an aluminum generic radiator to increase my cooling capacity. your i/c setup ought to produce a super cool air charge my friend, excellent job.

I feel like I am being challenged here:D I will have to step up my game. At my last tune the guy doing the tune pressured up the radiator to insure my leak was fixed and spilled the antifreeze on the top of my radiator. I didnt wipe it clean right away so now my radiator is all dull. I hope I have time to do some polishing. Your project is going to add a lot of bling to your engine compartment. It is one of the last things I was planning to do as well to mine but you beat me to it. Lots of kudos

Ken

I feel like I am being challenged here:D I will have to step up my game. At my last tune the guy doing the tune pressured up the radiator to insure my leak was fixed and spilled the antifreeze on the top of my radiator. I didnt wipe it clean right away so now my radiator is all dull. I hope I have time to do some polishing. Your project is going to add a lot of bling to your engine compartment. It is one of the last things I was planning to do as well to mine but you beat me to it. Lots of kudos

Ken

Thank you! I don't think you're in any danger:D I'm still drooling over the side panels and strut tower brace on yours! Like yours, my car isn't a daily driver. So since I'm a terminal insomniac, I figured why not "bling it up" while I'm at it. I've polished plenty of aluminum, but this was my first time to polish flat aluminum panels. What a PITA! It's like trying to make a bathroom mirror with sandpaper and a buffing wheel:p I'm tempted to have the shroud and top piece chromed so I won't have to polish them again.
Thanks again!!

Daspanka

looks real nice, I'm also going to go with an aluminum generic radiator to increase my cooling capacity. your i/c setup ought to produce a super cool air charge my friend, excellent job.

Thanks, man! I sure hope so. After I put the 5% jackshaft pulley on (already have a 5% blower pulley), my IC really started to heat soak. I'm really pleased with the power level of the car, so I hope the fans can help cool down the air charge enough to keep it.

Daspanka

Detail on the flanges

I was asked for detail on the mounting flanges. These are simply 8'x 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angles from home depot. Cut them to length. I bonded them together in a "Z" shape to bond to the aluminum sheet and provide a mounting "flange" for the shroud to the mounts on the top and bottom of the RAD. Drill and tap through them into the RAD flanges or just drill and use sheet metal screws. Clean well before the JB Weld. I left mine clamped under pressure for 12-24 hours witht he JB Weld. Here's pics:

Attachments

• angledetail1.jpg
    angledetail1.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 106
  • angledetail2.jpg
    angledetail2.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 101
  • clamped.jpg
    clamped.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Are you mounting the condencer back in the original position? The rest looks really nice. Now put some STANK on it and show us a vid of what she can do.

Chris

The first step will be to fab in and install the Aluminum RAD. I decided to go with a generic "Mustang" style racing radiator from summit. The rad is 27"x19" dual-core. Fits perfectly in the hole left by the original rad and frame. Will have to fab up some mounts, though. So, I bought some aluminum sheets to cut mounts from. 1/16th 6061 for the structural mounts, and .063 5052 (Thanks KW!) for the shroud and "bling" covers for the top. I couldn't find a fan/shroud combo that I liked, so I bought the Zirgo 16" 3000CFM chrome fan and a 24"x24" sheet of 5052 to make the shroud. I also have some 8' 1/2"x1/2" aluminum angle pieces left over from a construction job. Can be bought from Home Depot, etc. Cut one of the angle pieces the right width and screwed it into the bottom of the RAD support as a lower mount. Cut the 24x sheet to fit across the end tanks and trimmed for the outlets. The end tanks stick up about 1/3" above the core, leaving a void for the shroud to work. JB welded angles on the ends of the sheet for mounts and will drill and tap the flanges on the rad to bolt to. My son Andrew was my "hole" engineer and produced a cardboard template to cut the fan hole. More as the project progresses.....
Daspanka

Ok, thanks to you, the stumping has subsided. Now I am at the part for the hole. What did you use to cut the hole out for the fan. What did you do for the top plate to mount the radiator. I bought a universal mounting plate for a mustang for $35 and hacked it up beyond use. (not intentional) So I decided to have some one make me one that has an aluminum brake.

I would leak oil all over that thing! J/K that looks sharp. I wish I had that idea before I purchased this piece of crap from Radiator express. What are the dimensions on that IC if you don't mind me asking?

Are you mounting the condencer back in the original position? The rest looks really nice. Now put some STANK on it and show us a vid of what she can do.

Chris

I am hanging the condensor from the underside of the support as high and close to the rad as I can get it. In that position, the two fans from the IC will be blowing directly on it and only about 1-1/2" away from it. Plus that will leave a pretty large gap at the bottom for air to hit the rad directly. There's a company online that will make custom barrier hoses that will fit right back up to the OEM ford connectors, so I can re-use the high pressure switch etc.

Daspanka

Ok, thanks to you, the stumping has subsided. Now I am at the part for the hole. What did you use to cut the hole out for the fan. What did you do for the top plate to mount the radiator. I bought a universal mounting plate for a mustang for $35 and hacked it up beyond use. (not intentional) So I decided to have some one make me one that has an aluminum brake.
The hole I measured and centered it, marked it off with the template my son made. Drilled a 3/8" hole near the edge to get started and cut it out with a jigsaw using a "fine" metal blade. Cut like butta'. Took some scrap pieces and bonded some "tabs" on the back of the shroud. Drilled through and tapped them so that I could use the chrome bolts to hold the fan to the shroud.

Daspanka

I would leak oil all over that thing! J/K that looks sharp. I wish I had that idea before I purchased this piece of crap from Radiator express. What are the dimensions on that IC if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you!
The IC is 12x30x3 with 3" center inlets and a 21" long core.

Daspanka

Back