ground strap

patragz22

just got done putting motor together and will not start, I have power but I think I need to ground the motor, I know it goes on the passenger side near the air inlet for the airbox. I hear a little thud from starter when I try to start the engine, also the same sound from near the selonoid? also where is the best place to ground the negative battery cable?

My battery has been moved to the trunk and my stock ground wasnt hooked up when I bought the car...the best place for the negative ground is directly on the engine block anywhere on the block itself is best but anywhere on the engine will work just make sure the connections are clean ...then run a ground strap from the engine block to the car frame the stock one goes from a bolt right near the lower front passenger side of the engine where the bracket is for the starter cable then up near the airbox on the frame again make sure you use dielectric grease on the connections and that there clean...after that you should be good...just dont try to start the car without the engine to frame strap it might burn up the starter mine did

The primary ground is connected to the lower front bolt of the driver side engine mount at the block.

If this cable is connected there is a good chance your starter may be dry from sitting unused. This is a common problem.

Thanx Dave I wasnt sure like I said mine was disconnected suprisingly the car ran fine, and I never would have even known unless I did the swap...

got the starter checked out and it is fine, replaced selonoid and now I am getting a clack, clack sound when trying to start motor I am going to change location of ground and take it from there. thanks for the input guys, wish you lived next door so we can figure this out in person.

the starter has a little push on terminal that activates the solenoid on it---that little piece of crap is always getting coroded and making a bad connection you may want to check that before doing anything radical. Also since most of the drive train is mounted in rubber if your grounds are flaky the starter circuit must find its grounds somewhere ---oh like through your rear wheel bearings--not a good thing.........Dan

okay, got the car started, time for new battery. With the help from my wife's V8, I jumped started the battery and cranked right over. Will go purchase new battery and let it start on her own tomorrow.

Back