a terrible noise from the SC

BrentSC

hey guys i have a serious problem with my SC. i have had some very knowledgeable people around my area have a look at it but no one knows what the problem is. when ever i crank a hard right , or do a fast right hand corner , (it dosent have to be rack to rack) where theres load on the front left wheel it goes crack, crack, crack, and so on till i straightin the wheel out, it is a very metalic sound. and sometimes it will squeek slightly even going straight. my guess was a front left wheel berring . i replaced it but the problem is still there. i torqued the hub nut down to 250 lbs and did everything correct putting it back together. it happins in reverse, its just any time i have the wheel turnd to the right. it is a very loud noise i almost think the front end of the car is going to fall off. if no one knows what it is ill post a video tommrow. thanks alot guys

brent

ball joints maybe and or bushing

250 ft lbs ,is that on a front wheel bearing -that does'nt sound right
less im missing something

maybe i torqued it wrong, i looked in the haynes manual for the tbird and it only says rear hub nut torque to 250 lbs. it didnt say anything about the front one so i assumed they were the same?????

the front wheel bearing ,im assuming for the most part it's the same as on most cars ,that are rear wheel drive - i can do with a channel-lock or pliers

i believe the rear is totally different ,and i've heard that 250 ft lbs on that ,have'nt had the pleasure yet

Last edited:
does anybody know if 250lbs on the wheel hub nut is the proper torque specifications for the front left wheel????

If it's as bad as it sounds, you should be able to jerk back and forth on the top of the front tire, and get the joint to make some noise.

You can also jack the wheel off the ground, and shove a board or what ever you have for a lever, under the bottom of the raised wheel. Lift up on the lever.
If the ball joint is bad you will hear and see strange stuff going on.

If its as bad as it sounds, I would keep it in the cage till you can fix it.

:( your new bearing may be toasted--you get an E for effort

i have had some very knowledgeable people around ....

i don't think you should use their advise anymore

this is a Super Site for info - quite a few killer people here

replace the front bearing ,ASAP ,car should'nt be drove until then

Last edited:
(1) 250 is not only fine, but recommended by the factory manual. (189-254ft-lbs front).

(2) Did you replace the hub nut? They are one time use only, and if re-used (especially on the left side of the car) I can guarantee that they will loosen back up. I've seen this happen in as little as 100 miles.

wow - is all i can say - just checked the manual and sure enough it says 236 - 250 ft lbs in mine for the hub
amazing...
i don't even tighten my semi that much

yes i put a new hub nut on and did the procedure correctly. i will post a video in about 30 mins maybe we can narrow it down from there thanks alot so far guys. ill also try to lift the car up and see if the ball joint has gone bad.

brent

How bad was the old bearing? Did it spin on the hub?

Check fitment of the rotor on the hub. Does it set down all the way? I've seen rotors that are drilled too small and don't sit down properly over the shoulder on the studs or on the center hub itself allowing movement under rotating stress.

The problem does not sound like any joint although I won't rule it out based on that a camcorder picks up. It sounds like it is brake/rotor/bearing related. Most joint noises only make sounds during transitions and that one is clearly audible when the suspension itself is not moving.

Sounds like the tire is rubbing on the plastic of the wheel well???? Could it be that simple--look for rub spots.............Dan

the old berring looked okay, when i took it off it spun freely there auctually didnt seem to be anything wrong with it other than avery small ammount of play , but i kind of expected that seeing how the berring was 17 years old. i remember before the car was sold to me the owner said he bumped something on the road with that wheel thats making the noise. but it only started making the noise like 3 monther after i bought the car. after i put alot of load on that wheel doing afew drifts lol , it was thinking it was the brakes but i have had them all apart two times now, the tire is not rubbing on the plastic i checked for any sighn of that. the only thing i can think that would make sence is the wheel berring maybe got put on wrong or soemthing , like xr7 dave said that it didnt fit on the spindle. my best bet is to probably bite the bullet and bring it into ford ..

I wouldn't count on Ford having any more luck than you but they will charge you a LOT more and probably tell you that the whole front end needs replacing.

A noise like that should be traceable. Keep looking.

if you jack the car up - turn the wheel and rotate the tire can you hear anything - something is rubbing look for any shiny spots maybe
thats not the ball jount

i have had the whole front end ofthe car lifted up checked for rubbing and theres not a sighn of anything wrong. i talked to a guy today who had a tbird LX he said he swears it is the wheel berring becuse when he had his tbird he went through two wheel hubs before one worked. he said it was makiin the exact noise and did everthing adentical to what my car is doing. ill bring the old berring back see if i can get a repalcement then ill go to ford and get another wheel nub nut .. thanks guys

I wasn't aware that you could change just he bearing....in my experience you have to change the entire hub.... how did you get the bearing out of the old hub?

Back