PDA

View Full Version : Turbo swap header problem

Slysc
08-29-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm putting together a turbo setup for my SC. I've got an intake manifold that I'm planning to use, I've to the turbo and flanges. I'm in the process of ordering the pipes that will go from the headers to the turbo, the wastegate and pipes and the downpipe, ect. I have the 98 3.8 n/a Mustang shorty headers that I have been planning to use. I thought I could just put them on backwards, cut off the collector right before the 2 bolt flange and weld on the tubing that goes to the y-pipe into the turbo. However, the passenger side shorty header dumps directly into the engine mount if you install it pointing forward. BUMMER!!! I hate fabricating headers. Oh, well. I guess I'm in the market for some mandrel bent 1.5" dia. stainless. Without this roadblock I coulda had this setup done in a couple weeks. Fabbing up this header could take me a couple weeks alone. :mad:

So.... I'm just posting this to anyone who I've already talked to and said that the 3.8 mustang shorty headers will fit if you put them on backwards. They don't fit on the passenger side. Oops.

seawalkersee
08-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Can you try to cut that off and make it look like a "W"? I think it kind of eixts in the middle so doing this will make it all one piece. Then add the end collector facing forward and you have it fixed all up.

Chris

Slysc
08-29-2007, 11:40 AM
The shorty header when installed on the passenger side pointing forward in vehicle has the primaries coming out of the head flange, then turning down and forward, then they all turn downward into the collector. I figure if I cut off each of the primaries where it is pointed forward, I'll add slight bends to put them in the same direction and fabricate a collector straight forward instead of down. That would have the collector located forward and above of the engine mount. Probably not a big deal it just would have been really easy if I could have welded the pipe directly to the current collector.

XR7 Dave
08-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I think I already said something about it dumping into the motor mount.

I remade the header on the one I did. It wasn't that bad but I'd say it took me a day or so worth of re-welding.

{edit} Nevermind, I don't think I posted it. Here is a pic. Pardon the mig welds on stainless. :cool:

David Neibert
08-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Dan this thread has a lot of pictures and other info you might find helpful.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73321&highlight=turbo+headers

He used a set of MAC shorty headers turned backwards.

David

seawalkersee
08-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Dave, that is kind of what I was thinking in my head, but yours looks a TON better in the picture. What car did you build that for?

Dan, what turbo are you going to run again? Hybrid or no? I remember you telling me about wanting it to be a ballbearing design but that has been so long ago I cant remember.

Chris

V6Sprout
08-29-2007, 02:12 PM
on themustang when you flip the headers they fit fine ont he drivers side but ont hepassenger side the collector does hit the motormount, although the mounts are different on the SC so not sure exactly how it clears onthe drviers side. here are some pics of the turbo setup I am working on for a 99 V6 Mustang using 94-98 Mustang headers and reworking them.

http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=29709

pics are down a bit.

Slysc
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
The turbo is a Garrett 68mm compressor with a Turbonetics T4 turbine housing.

Dave, I noticed in your picture your pipe is solid welded together and there's no flex pipe. Did that work out OK? I was told I would need to run a flex pipe between before they join together to accomodate thermal expansion. I'd rather not invest in the flex pipe if it's not necessary.

Thanks for all the thread references and pictures.

Dan

David Neibert
08-31-2007, 04:37 PM
The turbo is a Garrett 68mm compressor with a Turbonetics T4 turbine housing.

Dave, I noticed in your picture your pipe is solid welded together and there's no flex pipe. Did that work out OK? I was told I would need to run a flex pipe between before they join together to accomodate thermal expansion. I'd rather not invest in the flex pipe if it's not necessary.

Thanks for all the thread references and pictures.

Dan

Dan,

I don't have a flex pipe on mine, just a couple of v-band connections. I had a 3.5" flex section on the down pipe to allow for engine movement, but I eliminated it when going to solid steel motor mounts. Those flex joints don't hold up very long before they start leaking.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/crossover.jpg

David