Replacing Front Bumper?

Thomas A

I need to replace the front bumper on my 1989 XR7, and was wondering what is the best way to go about it. I need to replace the actual steel bumper, not the cover. I plan to remove a good one from a parts car, and weld it onto my XR7. Where is the best place to cut the bumper at and reweld it?

XR7_Bumper2.JPG

Thomas

Behind the black plastic piece, there are four HUGE spot welds. Drill them or cut them in a square and replace the same way with the new one.

Chris

Does not look hard. I bet I could have it done in less than an hour if the new one was ready to go. BUT, it appears from your pic that the horn on your Coug is bent. Measure it up and wack it with a hammer, torch, and come along to strighten that bad boy out.

Chris

Yeah, shouldn't be too bad. The impact area does not seem to be damaged, so the new one should just weld up to it. Just have a find a straight new one now.

Thomas

Where are the bolts? I still have the cushion rivited to the bumper and plan on keeping some of it there so it is hare to see. Are they there or inside the bumper?

Chris

Back