GE Nighthawks or Silverstars?

SK_BlownThunder

I know it's been brought up before and after searching a few threads I'm still just wondering if anyone has tried the GE Nighthawk headlamp bulbs in their 90 SC (or that particular era). I'm running Sylvania Silverstar bulbs now and I don't really have the "yellowing" problem with my stock headlamp lenses yet so I figured this would be a good time to figure out what's "good".

I realized from a few threads the wiring in our cars is apparently insufficient guage for need of brighter light. Basically with the Silverstars I found they do give quite a "whiter light" than the stock halogens but you can still only see just as far as before. I'm trying to find out which lights will be the brightest and let me see the furthest in my car (preferably without going with them irritating blue lights). I've heard the General Electric Nighthawks are pretty bright but I would just like to see if anyone else tried them in their SC since they run about $45/bulb (I believe). I was able to get the Silverstar bulbs for around $14/bulb so I'm just wondering if I'm really gonna get that value in front of my car.

I do plan on replacing my front end with a Xenon kit which I believe may allow me to drop larger fog lamps into the valence (got some agricultural flood lights to put in) which will light up in front of my car then point my low beams out a little further.

Any input is appreciated and by the way...got a oval 3" Ultraflow Dynomax muffler for sale - $70 used (2000 kms on it approx).

I was running silverstars and stock lenses in my cougar they where brighter but you can still only see the same distance as stock. Nighthawks Ive heard arent much better either...I swapped grand marquis lenses in my cougar with the silverstars and its amazing the lenses are crystal clear I can see quite a bit more with them I think thats the problem with most ford lights that are not clear that have the beam splitting lines in them ...the grand marquis lights only work in cougars though

ive heard

infrared light bulbs can be filed down to fit 9006 style headlights.

they are bright.

i also once took a dremel on some 80w 9005 and shaved off a notch so i could use it on the 9006 side.

Try that. and re aim you headlights.
never got hi beamed for having them, its a scaled down version of hids, so people dont care to hi beam you.

now i have a 94 lx with 97 headlights...way better than the earlier style lights.

i also tried my hand and i am still trying to et perfectly produced clear lensed for the 89-93 headlights. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86479&highlight=clear+89-93

Last edited:
Back