Faulty EGR........??

Les would be the best to ask about this. I don't have EGR on my car, but I think the valve either becomes clogged or non-functional, and the EGR tube can break or crack. Not sure if that would effect performance though.

If the EGR valve itself is having problems then weird things can happen. Personally my tube cracked off at the manifold over a year ago and it's fine, I did pinch the end closed when I had the exhaust done a couple of months ago. I exhibit no problems and no codes but my valve is functioning and so is the sensor.

Does anybody know what is involved in properly disabling the EGR system (valve, sensor, etc.)? If you have an EEC tuner, can you do this and simply block off the EGR bung on the manifold and the EGR valve mounting point on the intake plenum? What might the impact be on an emissions test?

...I'd love to do away with that pain in the ass!

Best regards,

Sean

Sean

I tried by passing the EGR on my first engine swap and it ran like ****. Maybe because of the computer trying to find the EGR. That tuner might do the trick. But I don t know. When I took my XR7 in for a e-test the guy said it would not pass because in the system it calls for the EGR. I was thinking of doing the same thing because I didn t want to reinstall the EGR. But I had no choice and I had to install the EGR valve system. And that was not fun. The same thing with my second motor. It did not come with the EGR. SO I had to install it on that motor aswell.

Sean,

I think your custom exhaust job will be a good time to kiss the EGR goodbye. Shouldn't be too hard to block off and get the car to run if Les' is fine without it.

Micah Miller sucesfully eliminated the EGR on his car. Talk to him maybe and see how he did it.

Well, if you work on the car often there is DEFINETLY a point to removing it. I noticed this working on Greg's, Sean's and Les' cars over the past year.

Shawn makes a good point though. I think I remember reading somewhere that if your car was manufactured with the EGR as part of the emission control system on that car, then it must be in place and functioning properly when the car is e-tested. It's just like saying you don't need cats if the car runs clean enough to pass the e-test without them. That's crap. As soon as the shop looks underneath and sees that they're missing, you're toast! They won't even hook up their expensive machine to tell you how clean/dirty it runs.

I guess I'm stuck with the EGR as long as I'm stuck with this '90 5-spd SuperCoupe. ...Hopefully a long time.

Cheers,

Sean

The hook is set. I don't think I'll be parting with her any time soon. She might get relegated to recreational use only, if I pick something else up as a daily driver, but I think she's got a permanent home in my garage.

Cheers,

Sean

...She's gonna need some work though. The suspension is getting a little sloppy, and I'll probably need to change the clutch some time this Winter.

You mean the car wasn't supposed to be floating through the trap at 96mph? oh. I though that was just wind getting under tha car.:)

The front ARC controllers were unplugged, remember?! Oh, wait a minute. The front ARC controllers are still unplugged! I guess that's one reason I got to thinkin' on the way home that the suspension was getting tired!!! :eek:

Remind me to plug those back in tomorrow, OK?!

Cheers,

Sean

Hey my check engine light would come on at WOT and the code was for the EGR fault, however in all my runs yeasterday the light never came on once. I guess it just acts up sometimes.:confused:

Back