Codes 522, 528 ???

Ddubb

I have been getting a Check engine light after putting my car back together. Everything runs great, and I havent really had any driveability issues. But I do need to get the car smogged, and it wont pass with the CEL on.

This car is a 1994 SC with a 5 speed transmission.

I am getting codes 522 and 528 on the KOEO Test. Ive been researching and it looks like the Clutch pedal position switch, and neutral safety switch.

I pulled off the CPP and tested for continuity between the Neutral safety circuit .. I am getting no resistance when it is in the depressed position and resistance when the plunger is pushed in .. which means this should be a good CPP switch.

So I pulled off the Neutral switch sensor, and I am getting no continuity at all .. apparently it must be bad. So I jumped the plug with a copper wire and the code 522 went away .. but I am still here with code 528, and then code 214 pops up ( camshaft position sensor bad too ?? )

Anybody have any ideas ???

Thanks

- Dan

DTC 214
Cylinder identification circuit failure.
Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 214 indicates an error has been detected in the Cylinder Identification (CID) input signal. The error could be due to a hard fault or an intermittent condition.

Possible causes:
Open or shorted harness.
Damaged Camshaft Position (CMP) /Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
Damaged Ignition Control Module (ICM) .
Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM) .
Will engine start?

Clutch and neutral switches will not set a check engine light. It must be a bad cam sensor.

So even though the EEC is setting the code 528 for the CPP, it wouldnt turn the Check engine light on ??

The car starts up and runs really good with the Camshaft sensor plugged in. When I unplugged it, it took a second longer to start. The check engine light still came back though. I was reading that the CE light should go away if you leave the CPS unplugged ??

Those are the only 2 codes right now, 214 and 528 .. since I bypassed that Neutral safety switch with a copper wire. I need to buy a new switch, and I guess the CPS also.

When I start the car, the CE light doesnt come on right away, it takes a few seconds, after the Airbag light goes out, it comes on.

I have the battery unplugged to clear out the memory on the EEC .. if I unplug the CPS, will the CE light come back on ?

Thanks

- Dan

Back