PDA

View Full Version : Car goes click and won't start

Dan Protzek
08-31-2007, 06:57 PM
when I turn the key it just makes a single click and thats it. It does start perfect sometimes and if you push start it , it will start fine too. all power in the car works fine (lights,radio.....) not sure whats up with this thing. oh yeah its a 1990 sc 5spd 35th thank you in advance. Dan

sail7seas
08-31-2007, 07:04 PM
I had a similar ..., ended up being the one of several switches connected to the ignition switch.

Ira R.
08-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Single click usually means you are getting power to the starter, but the starter isn't any good. I would look at that first.

Ira

txsc
08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
when I turn the key it just makes a single click and thats it. It does start perfect sometimes and if you push start it , it will start fine too. all power in the car works fine (lights,radio.....) not sure whats up with this thing. oh yeah its a 1990 sc 5spd 35th thank you in advance. Dan

You have a bad starter relay. To test, set the parking brake and make sure it's in neutral. Remove the push-on connector (single post) on the starter relay, and short it across to the large hot lug with a screwdriver (don't touch the blade). The car should crank. If so, you have a bad starter relay. It's a corner parts-store item.

JD

Dan Protzek
08-31-2007, 07:24 PM
ok sounds like a plan, wheres the starter relay? is that the thing that is on the side in between the battery and the windshield washer fluid res. ? if so I touched a screwdriver to the two posts and it did not turn over like it should, it just sparked very poorly.

speedwagen
08-31-2007, 07:58 PM
You can take your starter to autozone and the will test it for you.
Also check your cable connections.
Starter relays don't cost that much.When I replace a starter I go ahead and put on a new relay just to avoid any problems. Make sure your battery is charged fully, and it's a good time to clean the battery terminals.

Good Luck!

Kit Sullivan
09-02-2007, 01:11 PM
TXSC is correct...more than likely you have a bad starter solenoid. It's fender mounted on the driver's side.
Short the small connection (with the push-clip wire removed) to the battery side and the starter should run if the solenoid is good.
This is only a $9.00 part, and they go bad frequently...mexican/taiwan/korean junk preplacement parts, you know.

Dan Protzek
09-02-2007, 02:37 PM
ok, I went and bought one and am going outside to put it in right now so hopefully that works thanx = Dan

t_lusk
09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
If that doesent work you might have someone to tap on the starter with a small hammer while you are cranking it over. If it starts that would indicate that the starter brushes are worn out or even the armature its self.
Be very carefull not to runover your assistant though!!! Good luck:)

Dan Protzek
09-02-2007, 03:42 PM
ok, I just changed the starter soleniod and it does exactly the same thing I tried to start it by jumping it across and that did not work.( I used to have to do that with the mustang I had and this apears to be the same setup) before when the car was doing this I would just move the shifter from first too second a couple of times and it would start now it does not seem to work. this code 67 says nuetral pressure switch circuit open but still nobody has explained what that means, this is soooo stupid cause the car works fine one day and the next day it flattley refuses to move, and now does not go at all, but it runs like a champ. :confused: once again it is a 1990 35th SC 5SPD = Dan

Dan Protzek
09-02-2007, 03:57 PM
if you say that the starter might need a tap from a hammer to get going, the last couple of times that the car did start it turned over pretty slow and just barely started? that was quite helpful to me thanx I might be able to get a used starter for pretty cheap so I'll swap that out too. = Dan

t_lusk
09-02-2007, 04:05 PM
if you say that the starter might need a tap from a hammer to get going, the last couple of times that the car did start it turned over pretty slow and just barely started? that was quite helpful to me thanx I might be able to get a used starter for pretty cheap so I'll swap that out too. = Dan

Yes bad starters tend to "drag" when turning over, you may have it figured it out now. At least the starting problem! Not sure about the codes?

Dan Protzek
09-02-2007, 06:50 PM
yeah success!!! I went and bought a new starter and changed it out, the car starts up nice thanx to everyone for all the help and suggestions = Dan

Ira R.
09-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Single click usually means you are getting power to the starter, but the starter isn't any good. I would look at that first.

Ira

Glad to hear you solved the problem. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Ira

yea, I know, I'm a wisea$$ :p