dropping the tank on the 93

89tird

just found out that the car barely runs because of bad gas , anybody got any write ups or suggestions to drop the fuel tank?? what fuel pump should i buy , i want to do the job tomorrow. thanks

how much gas is in the tank, i would say try to siphon it out, and put a hydroulic jack underneath and jack it up a little bit. Then once you get all the bolts out then slowly lower the jack so it easier to get the tank out. Gas is heavy and if you dont support the tank its going to be a nightmare to remove the gas tank. Also the fuel pump depends on your plans for the car, if it going to stay stock then get a replacement pump, or if you are going to do mods get a 190lph or a 255lph. That is up to you!!

How much gas is in the tank? That will determine how much of a bear this job is. I've done mostly empty and mostly full tanks. Neither are much fun, but trying to handle an ungainly tank full of gas is not much fun. You will have to drop the rear of the exhaust to get the tank out. I usually disconnect the exhaust after the resonator (should be a ball socket flange on the exhaust if it is original style). After that there are 3 or 4 (can't remember anymore) rubber hangers holding it up. There are two back by the mufflers and one or two around the diff. You will then have to disconnect the hose from the filler pipe and there is a balance hose near the rear top of the tank. These hoses can be a bear to disconnect from the tank especially if they've never been off so it requires patience.

I usually stick a 2x4 cross car underneath the tank and put a floor jack somewhat centered under the car under that. Use that to support the weight of the tank. There are two straps running lengthwise on the car with bolts in front and rear of the straps. I loosen all four at first and then start taking them out one at a time. Again you have the jack supporting the tank here. After the straps are out you can lower the tank a little bit (easier said than done to keep it balanced on the jack especially if it is full of gas). You don't want to just drop it on the ground since there are still electrical and fuel line connections on the top of the tank going to the fuel pump. They are on the passenger side. If you cannot keep the tank balanced, better to let the driver's side fall down and support the passenger side. Lower the passenger side down so you have access to the fuel pump connections and disconnect them. After that drop the tank all the way down and drag it out.

It's not a fun job laying on your back, but I've done it numerous times. Not sure what to recommend on the fuel pump. If it is stock and staying that way then just put a stock unit back in. Otherwise you can get a 255lph forced induction pump from autoperformanceengineering.com but you probably won't be able to have it by tomorrow.

thanks for the replies . tank should have 1/4 of gas in it, i think im just going to get a replacement pump

sorry i dont see how to do it manually , did you mean to give me a different post? if i could pump it out without dropping the tank that would be great

He's telling you to use...

the fuel pump to drain the tank. I would disconnect at the filter and run it into a suitable container. From there jumping the connector terminals will force the fuel pump to run and empty the tank.

Just make sure your "jumping" the right connectors, because things can get a bit hot if you jump the wrong ones and cause a spark :cool:

lol , isnt it the two big wires on the fp relay connector ?? should i run the pump until all i feel is air coming out ?? will the pump overheat?

Pump it out by jumping the FP test to ground as described in the post I linked to. You can disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter and pump it into a container.

Add clean fuel in behind it to keep the pump from over heating. I'd run through a good 5 gallons of clean behind the bad stuff before calling it a day. Then add some fuel cleaner stuff into the tank to clean up any junk that made it through the lines. If the fuel looks bad coming out, replace the fuel filter while you are down there.

it had more gas than i thought it did , like 10 gallons
Image082.jpg
[/IMG]

Image084-1.jpg
[/IMG]

is this bad gas ?? shoudlnt it be clear ? i wanna clean out from the filter up to the engine , what do i have to disconnect at the engine to blow old fuel out ?

damn wish i had read that before pumping all of it out , what fuel system cleaner you recommend ?

Disconnect the big line at the fuel rail by the engine. Get whatever fuel system cleaner they sell at the auto parts store. I use Seafoam engine treatment, but any name brand product should work to get rid of any deposits.

Yes, the fuel looks bad. Does it smell like gasoline?

How long was it in there, is that blended fuel or supposed to be straight gasoline?

And be careful around those containers. Gasoline isn't explosive, but the vapors from gasoline can be.

you should transfer that to a approved gas storage tank.

i will try to stick to seafoam because its what ive used before and it worked. is there any cleaner i could run without starting the car , to pump some more with the pump ?

it smells like gas but part of it smells rotten, car sat for a while i wish i had pumped out the old gas before running it.

i put about 10 gallons of fresh premium not to long ago but i guess it mixed with the old stuff, im going to buy another gas storage container but where can i dump the stuff ?

weird the new gas looks just like the old gas , i thought 93 was supposed to be clear ?? i tried a different gas station , maybe they all going cheap ?

guys need some help , fuel filter is stuck , the braided metal line wont come off , looks like theres some clips inside the line holding the filter , do i need a special tool for that ?

Yes, you need a special tool to get the one side off the fuel filter, as well as get the lines off the fuel rail. They are A/C or Fuel line disconnect tools. They slip around the shaft and slip into the coupling to hold those fingers back so you can slip the filter out.

Shouldn't be more than $14 at the auto parts store.

Back