Engine Update

bowez

Yeah I know its been awhile 7months now...

Fixed the oil problem relief valve was stuck, replaced cover and I now have 60PSI, yippie.

Though the noise is still there, the best way I can describe it is as similar to a wheel bearing (not our worn hubs but a traditional packed bearing) noise. I rev it a little and noise did not get worse may have subsided but only a little (though I didn't go that high into the revs).

Refresh on the other problems, had issues matting the engine and tranny (AOD; some suggested I may have damaged front pump, but the first time I started it the pan did empty), bad oil pressure relief valve, ICM. One more thing initially before I installed the motor I had to forcefully turn the motor over(TC was attached to motor and used a Pipe wrench) I was/am thinking was just due to it sitting up for years but I'll give yall that bit of info too.

If the plugs were in when you turned the motor, it would be hard to turn.

Pull the blower belt off the blower and see if the noise is still there. Could be the coupler in the blower nose, or a bearing in the blower nose making that noise. Make sure the blower is full of fluid.

Pulled Crank-Jackshaft belt and noise was not as pronounced, now sounded like metal rubbing together.

I am not letting the engine run long enough to idle down(for fear of causing more damage).

Correct me if I'm thinking wrong but if it got quieter with a rich mixture (due to the lower than expect air-intake) I'm looking at a main bearing or rod bearing? Does not sound like a bad rod at all.

There is no smoke coming out the exhaust so I believe rings and seals are ok (save the rear main but it anit too bad). After pulling the belt off smelled a bit richer.

Make sure it's not a bearing in the accessories somewhere going south first (alt, water pump, p/s pump, tensioner). If you think it is in the engine, pull the oil and see if there is any metal pieces in it. If you're hearing noise like that, then there should be metal in the oil if it's an internal engine issue.

I did see metal when I drained the pan when I had to work on the front cover, looked to be iron or aluminum not brass. After seeing that I was honestly expcting to see smoke (thinking it would be the pistons).

Got any pictures of what came out? Busted ring land, busted skirt, your noise could be a ring stuck between a piston and a cylinder wall.

Seeing metal like that would tell me to pull the engine, pull the head and the pan and figure out what is going on.

No pic, but looks similar to just a ordinary metal shaving nothing special. I plan tomorrow to drain oil and go from there again; most likely dropping the pan on Saturday.

If it was a ring issue wouldn't it smoke?

What kind of metal is important. I wouldn't count on anything. You should pull the filter and cut it open to inspect the contents as well.

Drained oil and have a specks for white metal. Only way you can see it is putting oil on fingers and then I can feel and then see it, but is not visible in the oil alone.

EDIT:

Found me a magnet and its not a "white metal" its a "black", it is magnetic/ferrous.

Last edited:
Back