PDA

View Full Version : Charles has been busy again.....

XR7 Dave
09-01-2007, 08:36 PM
And has come up with a hard plastic chin spoiler for our cars. It will improve airflow into the radiator at highway speeds especially for cars with the MPFMIC but no reason why it won't work on all SC's. Check with Magnum Powers for pricing and availability!

Toms-SC
09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
:confused: Can't see it :confused:

XxSlowpokexX
09-01-2007, 11:03 PM
94-95???@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

XR7 Dave
09-02-2007, 08:37 AM
94-95???@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@No, the 94/5 is completely different and won't benefit from his product anyway because it already has a large opening and scoop.

David Neibert
09-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Dave,

Can you post a link....I can't find it on MPs website.

David

XR7 Dave
09-02-2007, 12:35 PM
You'll have to call him. They should be ready any day now.

XxSlowpokexX
09-02-2007, 12:43 PM
No, the 94/5 is completely different and won't benefit from his product anyway because it already has a large opening and scoop.

Figured maybe it was something lower...A racoon ate mine

95MTSC
09-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Figured maybe it was something lower...A racoon ate mine
../---------\..
===========
||--- :eek: ---||

XxSlowpokexX
09-02-2007, 05:30 PM
that pretty much summed it up!

quick35th
09-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Got a pic?

Shane

seawalkersee
09-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Hmmm...I would like to see that.

Chris

Toms-SC
09-06-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.magnumpowers.com/images/Air_Dam_1.jpg

http://www.magnumpowers.com/thunder_pro_pri.php

What on earth?

XR7 Dave
09-06-2007, 12:44 PM
You need to see it on the car. It attaches to the lower rad support and extends through the "teeth" in our bumper covers.

CurtisPaulfrey
09-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Edited to keep my personal views out of this thread

David Neibert
09-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Charles sent me a few pictures, looks pretty good on the car. I'm going to try using one on my turbo car. If it doesn't fit because of all the mods made to accomidate the FMIC, I'll use it on my 91 instead of the GM air dam I'm using now and put the GM air dam on the turbo car.

David

90blkbrd
09-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Charles sent me a few pictures, looks pretty good on the car. I'm going to try using one on my turbo car. If it doesn't fit because of all the mods made to accomidate the FMIC, I'll use it on my 91 instead of the GM air dam I'm using now and put the GM air dam on the turbo car.

David

Can you post them?

92strokedbird
09-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I have something similar to this that i used on my car when i went to Memphis 2 yrs ago.They work quite well,the temperature was over 115 deg and the car did not overheat once.

deepbluesc
09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Not to be overly critical but does it have a Benjamin's worth of value?

David Neibert
09-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Can you post them?

Sorry.....not without permission from Charles Warner.

David

David Neibert
09-06-2007, 05:20 PM

It looks like it would push considerably more air up into the radiator and MP FMIC area, than either the factory or GM air dam. Mainly for better cooling at highway speeds. If it helps the car run even 10 degrees cooler in the summer, then it's worth it to me.

David

Toms-SC
09-06-2007, 06:37 PM

$89. Considering most of the stock SC one's have been ripped off or broken this is a good alternative for people. Price is not too bad either.

deepbluesc
09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Again my comment was not designed to be critical but to ask what too few seem willing to do i.e.: Is it really worth what I'm guessing would be 100 clams shipped?? Is there any R&D to support this moving more air than the factory or Grand Am unit? It looks to be metal so what happens when you scrape it? Does it hang lower than the stock or GA units? When it gets caught on something what does it do to your bumper?

While I respect both Daves and their knowledge I think there's a point where 10 degrees is important and another point where it isn't. Knowing what temps Ford designed the fan(s) to operate within tells me they wanted the engine to run in a certain window for a reason. How many people actually have overheating problems versus those that let the factory gauge scare them into thinking they have one.

Just food for thought.:)

XR7 Dave
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
The philosophy and R&D behind this product are both pretty solid. The product was first conceived because people were complaining about hot running with the MPFMIC. Charles built some prototypes out of metal and tested them on some customer cars. All testing indicated an approximate 10 deg drop in operating temps with no other changes. When you are seeing 220-230 deg temps, a 10 deg drop is significant.

Another factor that contributes to some of the cooling issues that some people are seeing may be the ride height of the vehicle. By lowering an SC you reduce the high pressure zone at the base of the bumper which reduces the amount of air available for cooling. This is another factor that led to this product idea. Charles feels that a combination of the FMIC and lowered ride height is really reducing the amount of cooling available for the car.

The change in bumper design for 94 is a clear indication that Ford recognized a cooling problem on the SC as well. The shark like opening on the front of the 94 was clearly designed to improve cooling. Rather than consider our cooling issues to be a problem I feel they are a compliment to the car's aerodynamics.

So after testing the metal units he went ahead and had this one made from a hard rubberized plastic, basically the same material that other air dams are made from so that they can bend and flex if they impact something.

Like Tom said, this is a great product for any SC. It never hurts to direct airflow into the radiator even if you don't have a FMIC. I plan to get them and install them on all my cars. I think it's a great idea.

racecougar
09-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I really want to see a picture or two of it on a car. If it looks the way I'm thinking it will, I may just have to get myself one.

-Rod

CurtisPaulfrey
09-06-2007, 10:36 PM
It is a bit pricey as it cost me about $10 to make and a hour or so to trim to fit.It works very well as it keeps the air from flowing under the radiator support and thru the rad instead.

Then make a bunch of them and put them up for sale, if only one person makes parts then the price can get much higher than what the parts are worth, if Charles doesn't sell any the price will come down.

I would prob pick one up but I don't know if MP wants my business anymore

David Neibert
09-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Here's a few of the pics that Charles e-mailed me. Not the best quality, but I think you can get a pretty good idea how it's going to look on the car from them.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/Chin%20Spoiler%202.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/Chin%20Spoiler%203.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/Chin%20Spoiler%205.jpg

David

patragz22
09-07-2007, 10:53 PM
you keep scraping that bumper and kiss your 100 bucks good-bye, looks nice though.

XR7 Dave
09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
you keep scraping that bumper and kiss your 100 bucks good-bye, looks nice though.

My SWB has a chin spoiler that hangs about that low. Really, as long as you get into the habit of stopping when the bumper gets to the curb instead of waiting till the tires hit then it should really be no problem. But yes, some people's driving habits (and apparently the ones in the picture!) will have to change some. :)

Pablo94SC
09-11-2007, 04:11 PM
My SWB has a chin spoiler that hangs about that low. Really, as long as you get into the habit of stopping when the bumper gets to the curb instead of waiting till the tires hit then it should really be no problem. But yes, some people's driving habits (and apparently the ones in the picture!) will have to change some. :)

I don't know about the guy in the picture, but my 94's lower air dam came off pulling into an oddly angled driveway with a rounded curb instead of the typical cut curb... and I'm still at stock ride height. :eek:

XR7 Dave
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't know about the guy in the picture, but my 94's lower air dam came off pulling into an oddly angled driveway with a rounded curb instead of the typical cut curb... and I'm still at stock ride height. :eek:

Whelp, if you mashed your OE parts then I can't begin to suggest that a more effective aftermarket part is going to be safe on your car. :eek:

mywhite89
09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Well anybody bought one and tested its effectiveness yet? If it works well, Charles better be bringing some to the shootout!:)

Chris

pablon2
12-05-2007, 03:44 PM
This may have already been asked, BUT....will this work for those with a Xenon front air dam? I have that and my car is lowered. I can't imagine sticking this on it too, otherwise I might as well work for the MN DOT road kill harvest crew. :D

007_SuperCoupe
12-05-2007, 04:21 PM
This may have already been asked, BUT....will this work for those with a Xenon front air dam? I have that and my car is lowered. I can't imagine sticking this on it too, otherwise I might as well work for the MN DOT road kill harvest crew. :D

I had the same concern with my SC. However, it does appear that the air dam will be fine. It is much like upgrading to a Grand Am air dam as far as how tall it is (can be trimmed down too). I emailed Charles about it directly. He sent me q pic in the linked thread.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94527

I didn't receive any specific measurements, however, by the look of it, it should work. Now your Xenon FAD is different than mine and sits back farther. That *may* block it just a little bit, but I don't know for sure.