The Notorious Bearing Squeak...

CMac89

Man, I hope not. For the past couple of months I have been getting squeaks from under the hood. I noticed a while ago that my upper radiator hose had a hole in it so it would leak some coolant on the belts and they would squeal. However, it would stop whenever the motor was warmed up. Replaced that a couple of weeks ago and 95% of the squeaking/squealing went away.

With no leaks involved I still get squeak from cold start up to hot shut off. Seems like I have three positive candidates for (a) trashed bearing(s):

1) The squeaking, of course.
2) I get about 25psi at hot idle, 65 at cold idle, and 50 hot, while cruising. The second two numbers are okay, but that idle psi is a little low. 15W-50 oil, by the way.
3) No noticeable knocking while running, but whenever the motor is shut off you can hear a rattle right before the motor completely stops.

Having said all that, this motor has 22,000 miles on the rebuild. It always had 25psi at idle. Clearances are a little too wide. I have heard the rattling during shut off for over a year now. This motor goes WOT a few times a week. I suppose it's just a champ if the bearings are bad, but nothing breaks until it breaks.

Now, I am going to pull all of the belts off tomorrow, then start it up. If there is still squeaking, then that should mean it's time for new bearings. I still plan to attend the shootout, with the car, regardless of the outcome.

Since this crank has been turned .010", then I would need a crank. Waiting for parts to ship and arrive will take up most time.

Dammit!!!:)

Well, false alarm.

The squeaking is coming from the belts still. The very noticeable rattling during shut down is coming from the blower. Looks like it's time for a snout rebuild, I suppose.

The motor idles way better with the belts off. The lope is way more noticeable, too. I'm thinking about putting an electric water pump on and leaving the accessory belt off for runs.

I'm pumped.

Last edited:
Well that's good news for sure. I didn't think it would be bearings but the car is old and all so......

:D

Best way to test belts is to get some brake clean and spray the belts when you hear the squeaking. That will usually temporarily cure any belt squeak and isolate the belts.

One of the most common belts to squeak on any vehicle is the one that the back of the belt drives a pulley. On our car that's the water pump. Over time the belt gets harder and the load of the water pump will cause the belt to slip a little causing the squeak. Replaced two pullies on my wifes Durango before I figured that out.

Back