PDA

View Full Version : Car dolly ?

Jacob_Royer
09-02-2007, 01:18 PM
If i make it to the shootout i will be using a car dolly for the SC (about 220miles) + I have not been able to find a deal on a trailer.. Anyway I've pulled the SC On a dolly when it spun a bearing and it was no problem BUT what i'm wondering now is how it would do with the SC on backwords? Or should i just drop the driveshaft? I've used car dollys alot with no problems but i've never loaded a car on backwords though i've seen it done alot. Has anyone tried it? how does it do?? if bad how hard is it really to drop the SC's driveshaft?

nickleman60
09-02-2007, 01:21 PM
:D I hauled a sc about 180 miles with it on backwards, rode just fine, just make sure the steering is locked.

Jacob_Royer
09-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Sounds alot better than dropping the driveshaft! :) I'll give it a try that way then.. Seems my front GFX drug a bit trying to load it forward anyway..

the-big-e
09-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I use a car dolly and have transported many SCs that way.....:D

I pulled my SC to last years shoot-out from Charlotte, NC (10 hours each way)......:p

I use two 5 foot 2 x 12s as ramps and this will keep the GFX from dragging (my SC is dropped 1").....

When pulling an SC (89 - 93) from the rear, you have to be careful of the speeds you will be traveling.....:rolleyes:

While towing an automatic from the rear wheels, I get up to about 60 mph and the rig tends to get unstable......:eek:

The towed car will swerve back and forth and make thing VERY HAIRY for the driver of the tow vehicle....:eek: :eek:

I believe that this is caused by the front wheels being locked with a slight turn in them.....:confused:

This also causes the front of the car to be out of line with the tow vehicle......:rolleyes:

I just pulled a 95 SC automatic home today and it did just fine at 70 mph.....

I did notice that the 95s steering wheel can be locked with the front wheels going straight.....

On any of the 5-speeds that I have towed from the front wheels, I could easily travel at 80 mph and up with no problems.....

Jacob_Royer
09-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I towed mine from the front when it spun a bearing, I couldn't even tell it was there until i went to stop.. Sounds like i should just drop the drive-shaft... I hate to have to do that but I don't want to screw up the tranny..

mannysc
09-03-2007, 10:24 PM
I hooked one of these to a lx tbird my dad towed behind his motorhome
http://www.remcotowing.com/lube.asp

David Neibert
09-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I towed mine from the front when it spun a bearing, I couldn't even tell it was there until i went to stop.. Sounds like i should just drop the drive-shaft... I hate to have to do that but I don't want to screw up the tranny..

Dropping the driveshaft is going to be a real pain in the azz. To remove it your going to have to drop the exhaust and the fuel tank. I'd just tow it backwards and make sure you have the front wheels pointed straight.

David

Kurt K
09-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Years ago I had a car towed to a shop (not a SC). Anyway, the car was towed with the back wheels in the air (not on a dolly), but instead of locking the front wheels into a position, the driver tied a rubber bungy cord to the steering wheel and closed the door on the other end.

Not sure if this would work with a dolly or not, just though I'd share.

Jacob_Royer
09-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Dropping the driveshaft is going to be a real pain in the azz. To remove it your going to have to drop the exhaust and the fuel tank. I'd just tow it backwards and make sure you have the front wheels pointed straight.

David

couldnt i just unhook it from the diff and wire it up out of the way???I thought you only had to drop the tank and all that with a old style gas tank? mine is a 93..

David Neibert
09-04-2007, 01:14 PM
couldnt i just unhook it from the diff and wire it up out of the way???I thought you only had to drop the tank and all that with a old style gas tank? mine is a 93..

I don't know if you can wire it up and out of the way....might be able to, but as I recall you will not be able to move it much because of being trapped in the driveshaft tunnel by the tank and driveshaft loops.

Late model tank still has to be lowered to remove it...we had to do that when installing an aluminum driveshaft in my 93.

David

Kurt K
09-04-2007, 01:15 PM

It doesn't matter if it's an old-style or new-style gas tank when it comes to removing the driveshaft. With that said, if you can find a place to tie the driveshaft to, you should be able to keep it disconnected for the diff. Just make absolutely sure that there is no way the driveshaft will touch the moving flange on the differential.