PDA

View Full Version : house of pain....

Sweet90SC
09-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I just dunno guys... Sorry I have been outta touch here lately. I made a trip the KC MO. in late July and upon my return the world fell in on our heads over here....again....

I started having pain again in my right leg and butt while I was in KC so I got to the Doc when I got home to find out what the hell was going on. Welp...they decided to x-ray my left hip... Turns out I now have whats clinically termed "Avascular Necrosis" of the right hip. We all know it better as the "Bo Jackson" disease. Essentially a blunt trauma to the hip area has killed blood vessels that support bone growth to the femoral head and the bone begins to deteriorate and die in the hip joint. Evetually it requires a hip replacement surgery and I am now considered disabled and can't work... Oh joy!....wait I'm not done yet....

So Carla and I were busy trying to get ourselves prepared for me to have surgery and a 8 to 12 month rehab....then....
Our son started middle school. So we took him to his new school for orientation on order to get familiar with the place. All new students families were put in the gym to get all the info needed for the new students. Since I was having trouble walking I stayed out of the bleachers and just stood to the side while Carla and Stephen sat in the bleachers to get the low down. Poor Carla was comming down the bleachers to fill me in and....Woosh!.. Slipped and fell off the bleachers to the gym floor below. Carla now has a fractured left ankle and and will be in a cast till at least mid-October....wait we aren't done yet....

the following week my 65 year old mother was standing on a second story scaffolding....I have no clue why.... at their greenhouses. Apparently she was trying to help workers fix the roof on one of them and....Whoosh!... She slipped and fell from the scaffolding to the ground below. My mom now has a broken back in the L-2 lumbar vertabrae and a shattered right ankle that required 9 screws to repair surgically.....

Guys I dunno whats gonna be next. Probably the complete loss of my sanity. I know there isn't anyone out there in this world without some burden to bare. But this one is getting awfully heavy for us. You're thoughts and prayers sure would be appreciated. I'm just not sure how much more as a family we can tolerate. We have reached the end of our rope here....Anyways,
Thanks guys...
Rick:(

SuperChicken89
09-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Rick... Sorry to hear things haven't been going well for you and the family. We will keep you, Carla, and your mom in our thoughts. Try and keep your chin up. Things will get better:) Broken bones will heal and hopefully your surgery will go well also.

Keep us up to date as to how things are going and you know we are here for you. Don't be afraid to ask if you need something.

Bryan

onequiksc
09-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Rick, I know nothing I say is of enough consolation over this series of bad events, but...I was in a really dark place a couple years back when Teri left, I didn't think I could go on, everything I held onto for a future disappeared. I'm still not sure how I got to where I am, but I'll take it. I day at a time is the only way.

Every day allows a new perspective. You've hopefully bottomed out, and you haven't lost anyone, they're broken but still here, that's a LOT!

If you ever need to talk, call me. I will listen till you're tired of talking.

You will make it through this!

the-big-e
09-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Holy smokes.....:eek:

I can't believe all of this.....

Like Dan said, "they're broken but still here".....:)

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on.....

And stay off the step ladders......:p

Brad Klein
09-03-2007, 10:44 AM
WOW Rick I cant believe it I guess its true when they say bad things come in threes

My Dad has gone thru the hip replacement surgery and I dont remember it taking 8 months to recover. That surgery is usually done in older people so it shouldnt take that long for you to recover. If you have any questions I will be more then happy to ask him.

Your in our thoughts & things will get better

kamakazie_1
09-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Uh, wow Rick, I'm sorry to hear of all this happening, Joyce and I will keep you and the family in our prayers..

RJ

Sweet90SC
09-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys....Here's a little light reading for ya.....

the-big-e
09-04-2007, 09:15 PM
It sounds like you have pretty good medical facilities there in Leesburg......

I know some people down in SC that have to travel quite a few hours just to get the kind of imaging that you have in Leesburg......:D

Not to change the subject, but have you seen "Body World" where they show human bodies that have been preserved by "plastination"......

They are showing it here in Charlotte at Discovery Place and they have a few exhibits showing artifical joints (hips, knees, elbows, shoulders)......

Cobra85
09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Unblievable Rick. Hopefully all the bad luck is done. Like Bryan said, "keep your chin up", things WILL get better. We'll keep everyone in our thoughts and may all have a speedy recovery.
Glenn

Sweet90SC
09-05-2007, 01:21 PM
It sounds like you have pretty good medical facilities there in Leesburg......

I know some people down in SC that have to travel quite a few hours just to get the kind of imaging that you have in Leesburg......:D

Not to change the subject, but have you seen "Body Works" where they show human bodies that have been preserved by "plastination"......

They are showing it here in Charlotte at Discovery Place and they have a few exhibits showing artifical joints (hips, knees, elbows, shoulders)......

Yea, we Took Stephen to see that back in April while it was here in Orlando...The curator asked me if I wanted to join the club.:rolleyes:

the-big-e
09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
That exhibit kinda freaked me out a little bit.....

Did they have the man on the horse at the Orlando exhibit......

Sweet90SC
09-06-2007, 10:36 AM
That exhibit kinda freaked me out a little bit.....

Did they have the man on the horse at the Orlando exhibit......

I don't really remember Eddie...I was high as a kite. I kinda just sat over to the side while Carla walked around with the kids. This was just before I had my last surgery so I didn't feel very good at the time. I do remember the pregnant woman... Uggghhhh!.. I thought I would toss my cookies over that one. It reminded me of the pickled aborted fetuses they used to put on display at the fair when it came to town.:eek: Ish!

SuperChicken89
11-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Has anyone heard how Rick and the family are doing? It has been about 2 months since we last heard from him.

Hope he is on the road to recovery also Carla and his mom are healed.

Bryan

Gregthespy
11-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I have not heard from him in a while as well, and was recently thinking of his situation and how him and his family are making it through this tough time.
I do have his # and may give him a call to see if he needs anything and to let him know we are keeping him and his family in our thoughts.

Greg

onequiksc
11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Truth be told...I've been thinking about Rick lately too...

I hope we hear something, preferably good news.

dwayne
11-17-2007, 11:22 PM
you do not know me but i live in va ,sorry to here about you all hope every one is doing fine. was just looking through SCCOA,and ran across your post hope your leg is ok,i am loosing my right leg somehow no blood supply mussles are dyeing doctors are going to let be their as a dead limb,unless i ,injure it or g.g. sets up then will take off at hip,so i kind of know where you are coming from. are you aneware near Jacksonville i have family there ,anyway hope your whole family is alright

Brad Klein
11-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Truth be told...I've been thinking about Rick lately too...

I hope we hear something, preferably good news.

Yeah I think about him every time I come on here and dont see a new post he kinda kept this forum lively

onequiksc
11-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Pap, really sorry this is happening to you, best wishes that the doctors find a solution w/o taking your leg. Let us know what happens & think positive..

Hang in there, best wishes for Thanksgiving.

SuperChicken89
11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Greg, I guess that you didn't have a chance to call Rick. It would be nice to have some sort of update on him and the family.

Hope they are doing well.

Bryan

Sweet90SC
01-01-2008, 04:45 PM
POOF!:D

Hey Guys....Sup!

Just got a call from Eddie said you guys was wonderin where me went....

So Far...No Where...:mad:...

Still waiting on surgery. I had to go to the Mayo Clinic for an eval and recomendation for the insurance company to approve the hip replacements. and now I'm just waiting on the Surgeon to clear his Tee Times....

Were are looking at mid Feb...I hope...

I don't get around much and I just don't spend much time in here on this thing. As soon as I get any results I will most deff come in and let you guys know how it progresses. Thanks for all the thoughts and I hope we all have a super 2008...

Take care guys...;)
Rick

SuperChicken89
01-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Good to hear from you Rick. Yea, we were kind of wondering what happened to you. You sort of fell off the face of the earth(SCCoA). Hope Carla and your mom are doing better and have healed from their injuries.

Keep us posted on your progress and hope the surgery goes well. This year has to be better than last year for you.

Bryan

Cobra85
01-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Rick,
Good to hear that things will be working out for you. Keep in touch with us, will you?

ThunderDave
01-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I knew if I lit a fire under Eddie, he'd get on the phone and call you. :rolleyes: ;) Glad to hear there have been no more accidents. Keep your chin up, you got friends that care and are keeping you in their thoughts and prayers.