91 SC , How hard is it to replace frame rails?

lbreen

Hi, A local collision outfit wants 1500 to replace the frame rails. I want to know if I shouild try to fix or replace them myself. I had considered straighting them enough to put a new hood and bumper on. Any thoughts? LB

front or rear?if its the front actual frame that the K-member bolts to or the rear that the irs subframe bolts to junk the car it isnt worth it the car uses a unibody constuction if the frame is bent the body is bent and no matter what they do it will never be right again,I'd find a good donor car and swap everything over...if its the strut towers I wouldnt bother doing them your self you will never get the alignment right on your own as the k-member most likely has shifted and that will need to be aligned then the front suspension will need to be aligned or rear if its the rear frames that are bent ...if its where the front impact absorbers bolt to the frame and the core support area 1500 sounds decent for the amount of parts and labor involved

Sounds like you are talking radiator support and whatnot. They dont bolt off youde need to either cut and reweld or just plain drill the welds out and reweld new peices....

Or if its not bad...Straighten it out ..If its only fender supports and rad supports you can attempt to straighten yourself.

Shwo us some pictures

I would like to see some pictures. I do collision repair for a living. Sometimes cars can't be "made right" again, but everyday some of us do straighten cars correctly and our work has to meet the standards our customers demand.

I've decided that the first person who puts 300 cash, in my hand, drives away. Clear title. I'm done insuring and plating the bird. No low balls, I'm already there. lb

I would like to see some pictures. I do collision repair for a living. Sometimes cars can't be "made right" again, but everyday some of us do straighten cars correctly and our work has to meet the standards our customers demand.

exactly, its the people that dont fix it right that make us all look bad, and on top of that if the front rails on a bird actually need replaced you got a hell of a lot more problems than the rails themselves, like peeling your forehead off the steering wheel or windshield, they are quite strong and id bet they can be fixed if you take it to the right person.
and if it is wrecked bad enough that they need replacing as much as i hate to say it, its time for that bird to rest, it just wouldnt be worth the costs involved.

rotten rails

what if the frame rails rotted is it werth fixing? if i can weld can i do it myself?
any advise would be great.can rails be bought any where or be fabed from plate?

The Super Coupe body is not unique, so if its rusty why not just get a good clean (cheap) LX body and swap everything over ---down here rust free bodies can be had for 500 bones or less if not running good..............Dan

Back