Pressure testing the cooling system

How would one go about pressure testing the cooling system? I have a leak that I cannot isolate?

there is a pressure test kit you can buy that attaches to where the radiator cap is. You attach the piece and pump the cooling system up to about 13 lbs of pressure and you will find your leak for sure. I know snap-on makes the kit to do this. Worked well for me.

Thanks, I called around to see if any parts store has one to fit our radiators. CarQuest has one for $150.00. Geeze, how many times would I use something like that.

More than you can imagine...
You may be able to get a loaner from AutoZone or O'Reileys, but I haven't checked.
You will need to make sure and get the adapter to fit the small cap.

More than you can imagine...
You may be able to get a loaner from AutoZone or O'Reileys, but I haven't checked.
You will need to make sure and get the adapter to fit the small cap.

You are correct, they have the loaner. I may have to buy the adapter. Why couldn't I put some compressed air to it say about 15-16 psi from this small air compressor I have using the adaptor?

the basic setup has a hand held pump attached to a hose and on the other end is the old full sized radiator cap fitting. The adapter fits on our rad's and the other end is a a full size rad cap fitting to mate with the tester..

On the pump is a pressure gauge, you pump it up to the correct psi then you can watch the gauge drop if you have a leak.

I use mine all the time, whenever I change a hose I check it and I know there is no problems. Mine is a stant, however they are all made by the same place. Assumauker ( spelling is wrong ) I had to get and adapter and they being the manufacturer had them.

Hopefully they have the adapter to rent as well.

the basic setup has a hand held pump attached to a hose and on the other end is the old full sized radiator cap fitting. The adapter fits on our rad's and the other end is a a full size rad cap fitting to mate with the tester..

On the pump is a pressure gauge, you pump it up to the correct psi then you can watch the gauge drop if you have a leak.

I use mine all the time, whenever I change a hose I check it and I know there is no problems. Mine is a stant, however they are all made by the same place. Assumauker ( spelling is wrong ) I had to get and adapter and they being the manufacturer had them.

Hopefully they have the adapter to rent as well.

Sounds like a good thing to have around since I have 3 cars and a truck to maintain. I'm Thinking that the cap adaptor and a small compressor would do the trick. I'll know more in about an hour.

I got the pressure tester and it won't even register 1psi. I pulled the fan off and put a water hose on the inlet. Water is coming out of the radiator from two different places within the core! Now I got to ask myself what caused that to happen. Did my new thermostat malfunction can cause the radiator to blow or did the core just wear about the same time I put the new thermostat in? I would have expected a hose to blow before the radiator blew, if it was of any quality. Whatever the case maybe, it looks like I’m in for at least $320.00 for a radiator. While I’m at it I think I’m going to go with another thermostat and some hoses.

Last edited:
If you want a stock rad, check out radiator express ( on the member discount forum) I think mine ran me $130 or there about, new delivered to my door.

Ok I'll check them out. AutoZone has one for $214.00 with a lifetime warranty. Also my fan is loose and wobbling. I don't remember it being like that when I put the car back together. My 90SC's fan isn't wobbling. Possible a bushing came loose and flew out damaged the radiator? I removed the clip on the fan but it won't budge off the spindle. Crap, time for a swim. It looks like it’s going to more money.

I had a weepy tank-to-core joint on one of my former SC's. I bought a Radiator Express radiator for around $160, and it worked fine. The top tank is different than OEM, so it won't look original, if that's a concern. However, it functioned well, and the fit was right on.

Age gets the best of any radiator, and it thins out in places to the point where it starts springing leaks. Instead of having mine soldered, I just replaced it at the firt hint of leaking, knowing it would become an on-going battle to keep it patched.

JD

I called Radiator Express. A new radiator is $185 shipped. They're checking on the club affiliation now and will call me back.

Now I think I also need the entire fan assembly too.. where's the best place to get one. My current fan blad won't come off the spindle!:eek:

to remove fan blade, remove the clip then I used a small hammer and tapped the shaft flush then used a pin punch and tapped it the rest of the way out.
Then found a new motor at the local oreilly for around $100

Hammer did the trick. The bushing on the outside of the spindle looks broken. I'm sure that's not a replacement part. Anybody got a good used fan assembly for a 95SC?

Ok I'm confused. The bearing/bushings in the fan usually give out. You can purchase a replacement motor. Then the fan just slips on the motor shaft then clips into place. As long as the fan locks on the shaft you should be ok. Just make sure that if the motor turns it turns the fan and not spin with turning the fan blades your good.

If that's all it needs sure the motor will do the trick. What I'm not 100% sure about is whether or not the bore inside the fan became elongated or tapered. If that happened then I'll need a new fan too.

Last edited:
Back