ok guys got a weird problem

chris94SCmt

ok heres the deal, my car 94 SC MT has had this intermittent problem for a while. It seems almost like the ignition pulls timing out or it trys to even pull some spark out. This problem started happening a few months ago and it threw a cam sensor code. I replaced the cam and crank sensor, problem still there and intermittently throws the code. I replaced the tps and dis module about a month ago and the next day she ran great, faster than shes ever run. Check engine light still comes on everyonce in a while for a sec or two then goes off, no codes. Moved out into the hills of WV for college and she seemed like she was running pretty good. All of the sudden last night she started acting up again. W T F? Im thinking maybe coil pack. Also i heard that if the knock sensor is going bad ittl pull out timing and that could cause this too, another thing is that my coolant temp gauge doesnt work nemore, if the sending unit is not working properly could that tell the comp to adjust in weird ways causing this?

I no this is long, sorry but any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS
chris

problem

ok, well yes, your coolant temp can cause your timing to go haywire. BUT, the sensor that makes your guage work is different from what sends signals to the computer. how many miles on car?? its cheap to change the both of the coolant sensors, so your guage will work and so you can try to fix your problem. certainly a lot cheaper than all the stuff you've repalaced already. sorry, don't know what else to say. i'm sure someone else will come in on this.

I have a similar problem (I think) and to date I have changed the cam sensor, dis module, coil pack, mafs. Maybe I'll try the TPS next, or maybe another Mafs. I was thinking of wacking my cats off too to see if they are plugged or something. The problem sounds like it's coming from around the throttle body or EGR.....I think. Anyone have a picture of the TPS? How hard is it to change?

Thanks,
Jeff

the tps was quite a pain in the ass but if you have a right angle screw driver it makes it easier. Its deffinitly worth the few dollars it costs at the store. If you have a Tps problem that will feel like a tip in ( you are at part throttle and you give it a little more and it kinda hesitates)

anyone else?
chris

if your are correct in you diagnosis of it pulling timing, then really temp sensor and knock are the only things for you to play with. It gave you a cam code becuase the timing was "off" but, but like you said its intermitent. what ever code is shown only lights the light while values are wrong. temp sensor and knock sensor are two sensors that will not give you codes, but if they affect timing enough, they can set other sensor values out of range. thats why you got the cam code.

so before you chang anything else, change temp and knock and see what happens.

lowfly, check this
when you turn off car, do you any air, like pressure releasing???? also when you hit the gas, do you make big boost without even trying. i mean like you give is a little extra while cruising and then wham you're at like 6 psi.
your cats may be blocking up.

jim

act

its easy,
find the IC tubes. the lower one. the one withOUT the writing on it. near the top where it connects to the intake plenum. just past that connection. you'll see what looks like a temp sensor (ACT sensor) and there will also be a tiny little rubber hose that connects, right next to it. thats the boost guage pickup.

sound easy???
sorry i don't have pictures, nor do i know how to load them.

jim

is there anything else tack related besides the dis?

i changed the ACT sensor tonight.

it seems to run fine when the tack does not work at all. when the tack is working is when the intermittant problem happens.

lately it is hard starting at times. i have to try up to ten times before it starts. it will just turn over and over and over and over....get the picture? and it won't start. so i let off and try again. any ideas?

thanks,
jeff

WHOA!!! no one ever said that their tach was not working all the time.

but you say she runs fine when tach shows nothing and like crap when tach has signal. So your at this point, changed both cam and crank, changed all the sensors that don't give codes?? or at least some of them. I don't remember if signal to tach runs through DIS, but tach signal does originate in crank sensor, which is new.

You have to keep in mind that the DIS does a lot of things for the car, and you also have to remember that when it starts going bad, lots of wierd things can happen. maybe your not pulling timing, maybe your getting misfire.

I've worked on a few SC's with various mileages, however none with 196K on them, but i've never found a bad coil pack. I've tried to keep you away from the really expensive stuff, but it looks like you may want to get a DIS.

keep in mind i'm no expert, but i think this is the next thing for you to do. may be if there is another SCer near you, you could borrow a DIS for a bit.

jim

well, i changed the sensor that is like a circle below the supercharger....what ever it is called.....that was back in may though, so i stuck my old one back on again....i'll try that...

jeff

Back