Rewiring Fogs.

Evan_90SC

If I want to rewire the fog lights to the battery with a relay, is this how to do it?... Ground the relay, connect the relay to the battery with a fuse holder in between, then attach the fog light wires to the relay...? Can I connect the stock fog light switch in there somehow, or is wiring in a new switch easier? Do the fog light wires connect into one wire somewhere, or would I have to do that? Do I even need a relay? Are the fog light wires easy to locate? Thanks for your help! :)

I think there should be 4 wires coming out of the relay. Two will be for the fog light switch. This is the trigger side, which will stay at low current. Then there will be a power wire and a ground wire for the power (high current) side of the relay. You need to wire the relay trigger side in series with the fog light switch, and the relay power side in series between the battery + and the fog light itself (or between the fog light and ground). I am not sure if it is better to put the relay toward the power or the ground side of the foglights, but I am leaning toward ground. But you might want to get a second opinion.

Oh, and yes, use a separate fuse.

I did this back in 93 on my 1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0. I haven't done this to my SC yet.

I cut the fog wire off of the low beam and moved it to the parking lamps. But the parking lamps can't handle the juice needed for the fogs. So then found the fog light wire under the hood and wired it to a relay. That way the relay powers the fogs and the fog light switch is just an on and off switch.

This way the fogs are on with parking lamps, low beam and high beam. They will turn off with the lights and has a chime if you leave them on.

Back