PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Shootout

SCrazy
09-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Is anybody else from the Northeast going to the Shootout this year??? I know a few from NY and Long Island are going and even some coming from Toronto but I'm not sure if anyone else from New England will be there.

This will be my 4th year and I can attest that it's a really good time. I'm going to be leaving from East Hartford Wednesday afternoon as soon as the kids get off the bus, drive until late, crash at a hotel then finish the drive on Thursday, arriving in Dayton Thursday afternoon. I expect to be home Monday afternoon.

If anybody wants to caravan let me know.

I'm going to NE Dragway tonight for a little warm up session...........

Ira R.
09-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Brian, are you planning on shooting west on 84, or coming down 91 to 95 and then heading west? My original plan put me on the same schedule as you and there are 700 miles between here and OH where we could meet up.

Lately however, my plans have become very uncertain and I don't have any idea how or when I am going right now. I don't think I will know for another week or two. But if I can, I would be happy to meet up and travel with you guys. As my plans firm up I will send you a PM and let you know.

Isn't Ricardo going also??

Ira

ricardoa1
09-05-2007, 03:34 PM
I am flying in, But will be driving back. I am scheduled to work on Monday :eek: I might be a little late :D

Ira R.
09-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I am flying in, But will be driving back. I am scheduled to work on Monday :eek: I might be a little late :D

Hmmmmm, flying in but driving back. And your car would be where right now? ;) :D

Ira

ricardoa1
09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
.................................................. .....................

Mikessupercoupe
09-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Is anybody else from the Northeast going to the Shootout this year??? I know a few from NY and Long Island are going and even some coming from Toronto but I'm not sure if anyone else from New England will be there.

This will be my 4th year and I can attest that it's a really good time. I'm going to be leaving from East Hartford Wednesday afternoon as soon as the kids get off the bus, drive until late, crash at a hotel then finish the drive on Thursday, arriving in Dayton Thursday afternoon. I expect to be home Monday afternoon.

If anybody wants to caravan let me know.

BRIAN

I'M LEAVING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON OR NIGHT NOT SURE YET. WE PLAN ON BEING THERE THURSDAY MORNING. SEE YA THERE.

MIKE IRVING

Ira R.
09-05-2007, 11:36 PM

So, how did the warm up session go?

Ira

SCrazy
09-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Ira:

I plan on going out on 84 in order to avoid 95 around the city. Perhaps we could meet up at a hotel in Penn or something. I plan to drive to Midnight or 1 am so maybe 300 or 350mi Wednesday night then we could drive together on Thursday.

I got in 4 runs last night kinda babied the first couple but later in the night had really crappy 60' times, managed a best 12.60 ET on a 2.0 60' time. Trap speeds were a consistant 110mph.

Gotta get those skinnies.........

SCrazy
09-06-2007, 10:46 AM
BRIAN

I'M LEAVING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON OR NIGHT NOT SURE YET. WE PLAN ON BEING THERE THURSDAY MORNING. SEE YA THERE.

MIKE IRVING

Gonna drive straight through......road warrier. I'm thinking I'll be about 8hrs behind you.

Ira R.
09-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Ira:

I plan on going out on 84 in order to avoid 95 around the city. Perhaps we could meet up at a hotel in Penn or something. I plan to drive to Midnight or 1 am so maybe 300 or 350mi Wednesday night then we could drive together on Thursday.

I got in 4 runs last night kinda babied the first couple but later in the night had really crappy 60' times, managed a best 12.60 ET on a 2.0 60' time. Trap speeds were a consistant 110mph.

Gotta get those skinnies.........

That's not a bad time considering you couldn't stick the first 60'. Good trap speed as well [ gotta love that AR top end ;) ]

Turns out I'm not driving, so I guess I will see you when you hit the hotel Thursday.

Ira

Mikessupercoupe
09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Gonna drive straight through......road warrier. I'm thinking I'll be about 8hrs behind you.

THE KIDS ARE SLEEPING MOST OF THE WAY SO IT'S THE WAY I'VE ALWAYS DONE IT, LESS STOPS WHEN THEY ARE SLEEPING.

ARE YOU GOING BACK UP TO NEW ENGLAND BEFORE YOU GO?

MIKE

ricardoa1
09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
What tires are you using?

SCrazy
09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
THE KIDS ARE SLEEPING MOST OF THE WAY SO IT'S THE WAY I'VE ALWAYS DONE IT, LESS STOPS WHEN THEY ARE SLEEPING.

ARE YOU GOING BACK UP TO NEW ENGLAND BEFORE YOU GO?

MIKE

My problem is I'm the only driver while the wife and kids snooze so 12/13 hours solo through the night is really tough. I'm thinking I might go up to New England one last time on the 19th, not cast in stone but I'm leaning that way.

SCrazy
09-07-2007, 10:58 AM
What tires are you using?

BFG Drag Radials but I've got to get something with a softer sidewall. I've had some 1.8 60' times with these tires but not consistantly.

ricardoa1
09-07-2007, 02:58 PM
I just purchased the same tires for my car. What tire pressures are you sitting at and did you play around with it? Are you launching the car or rolling of the line?

Ira R.
09-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Brian, isn't your car a 5 speed? Dump the radials and get the M/T ET Streets. Much softer side wall is easier on the half shafts when you dump the clutch.

Remember the carnage in OK ??

Ira

SCrazy
09-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I tend to run the BFGs at about 20lbs I'm sure I could go lower but with the stiff sidewalls I guess I feel some tire slip is a little safety factor. I tend to get the car rolling a little before I fully engage the clutch, last time I dropped the clutch at the line I snapped BOTH halfshafts. That was with the BFGs at about 16lbs, 1600mi from home, thanks Ira for reminding me.

I guess it's time to pony up for some new track tires......

Ira R.
09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm thinking some of us more "inexperienced" drag racers tend to slip the clutch a bit when we launch. Not enough practice time and thus a lack of confidence in the car and ourselves I guess.

And after reading about the previous mishaps, I never go anywhere without at least one extra half shaft in the trunk. I don't own a trailer.

Ira

SCrazy
09-10-2007, 10:20 AM
I just don't have the balls to dump the clutch again. I've actually enjoyed driving the car for an entire year without a major breakage (knocking on wood).

Ira R.
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I just don't have the balls to dump the clutch again. I've actually enjoyed driving the car for an entire year without a major breakage (knocking on wood).

Ahh yes. That's my mod project for next winter. Too have both cars in the garage, keys in the ignition and ready to go at a moments notice, at the same time! :eek: :rolleyes:

Ira

Want2LearnTBIRD
09-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Ira, are you located anywhere near West Islip, or Rocky Point area?

Ira R.
09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Ira, are you located anywhere near West Islip, or Rocky Point area?

Wantagh. South shore Nassau County, right at Route 135. Maybe 30-40 minutes due west on the parkway to Good Sam (as a landmark)

Ira

XR7 Dave
09-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm thinking some of us more "inexperienced" drag racers tend to slip the clutch a bit when we launch.
Ira

I'm thinking some of you don't have enough clutch to break anything. :eek::cool::rolleyes::D

Ira R.
09-11-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm thinking some of you don't have enough clutch to break anything. :eek::cool::rolleyes::D

Yea well, wish I had realized it :eek::o:mad:

I was so busy trying not to hurt it that I never even noticed. But this years a new year ;)

Ira