timing chain remove/install

mrbrasky

How would this rate your difficulty scale? Already have balancer pulled and during main front seal replacement I noted obvious wear of chain (spacing between chain and crank sprocket). I have the Ford service manual that lists some 27 removal steps, including dropping oil pan. Have read some posts that indicate this is not necessary. One concern is with the cam synchronizer removal/install. Getting it wrong could be lethal.

What should be done while I'm at it? If I decide not to do this myself, I can pass along to whomever I have do this. Ford dealership quoted me a little over $500.

How would this rate your difficulty scale? Already have balancer pulled and during main front seal replacement I noted obvious wear of chain (spacing between chain and crank sprocket). I have the Ford service manual that lists some 27 removal steps, including dropping oil pan. Have read some posts that indicate this is not necessary. One concern is with the cam synchronizer removal/install. Getting it wrong could be lethal.

What should be done while I'm at it? If I decide not to do this myself, I can pass along to whomever I have do this. Ford dealership quoted me a little over $500.

Very doable. You do not have to drop the oil pan. There are some good threads on removal of the timing cover and setting the cam sensor. Go to search and type in cam sensor or timing chain. Lots of previous threads on the subject.

Ken

Easy peasy if you already did that stuff. No bolts go into the cover from the pan, just lots of gasket sealer (there is no gasket on the pan, it's just sealer) so it can be tough to pull off.

Be careful of the allen bolt holding the bottom corner of the front cover to the bock. It's the only allen head bolt and it's hard to find back behind the oil filter assembly. If you don't get that off and you start prying the cover off, you'll crack it. And believe, me, even with all the bolts out you will need to pry on the cover a bit.

For future members using the search feature......

Watch out for the passenger side guide bolts that are mounted to the motor...These go through the tchain cover......Some people have used more then enough silicone and it seems like there is still a bolt somewhere..But there isnt....These bolts are actually rtved inside of the tchain housing....Then add in corrosion from the water pump on the front........I used a wire brush to clean to bolts....But I used a small pry bar to pull off the cover.....I choose a bad spot between both bolts and broke a 1" piece of the cover...Take it slow and maybe a pick to clean off these bolts prior to yanking the cover...

Oh well my welder has it....$20 fix...

F1

Back