Suspension clunking noise.

Evan_90SC

I bought my SC last May and it has had this weird clunking in the suspension ever since I bought it. It came lowered 1 inch with H&R springs. It doesn't matter if firm ride is on or off, when I go over even the smallest bump, I can hear this little clunking noise from the front suspension somewhere. I don't think it is in the back, just the front. It sounds like something knocking back and forth, but it's pretty quiet. I think I read something somewhere about sway bar bolts or something that could possibly be the problem...? Anyone had this problem or know what it might be? Thanks!

The biggest culperate for that type of noise is the strut rod bushings on the lower control arms, especially if everything is still original.

At the age these cars are, it probably wouldn't hurt to redo the entire front suspension.

The biggest culperate for that type of noise is the strut rod bushings on the lower control arms, especially if everything is still original.

By original do you mean the control arms being original?..because it has H&R springs on it. Can just the bushings be replaced? I don't have the money to replace the whole front suspension. Is it bad that it makes that noise, is something going to brake, or can it be driven on for awhile?

Possible problems; Ball joints, Strut Rod bushings, Lower Control Arm bushings, or maybe even the Inner Tierod.

You need to have some load the suspension (push down on the front end) with you under there while car is on the ground, to locate the noise more precise. All can be done seperately but if its a LCA bushing or lower ball joint you will be best served by getting a whole new lower arm.

I also suspect Strut Rod bushing, they are fairly straight forward but you will need to have a drill to remove the rivet on the bushing that goes to frame. The rivet hold the bushing together around the frame.

Ohh, I also remembered that sometimes when I'm driving, not over any bumps just on flat road, I can feel this little vibration that feels like the suspension, and I can see the steering wheel vibrate up and down a little. It doesn't happen very often, but it happens when I've been driving for awhile without stopping, then when I come to a light and stop, it's not there when I start going again. I have 19 inch wheels, so for awhile I thought it was just because of the skinny tire, but now I'm not so sure. Does this sound like another symptom?

You need to have some load the suspension (push down on the front end) with you under there while car is on the ground, to locate the noise more precise. All can be done seperately but if its a LCA bushing or lower ball joint you will be best served by getting a whole new lower arm.QUOTE]

I've tried that. I can't make the noise by pushing down on it.

I've tried pushing down on it, but I can't replicate the noise.

sorry, didn't mean to post it again.

im thinking ball joints and/or upper control arms.

take it to a shop and have them put it up on a lift so they can check them out.

sway bar end links. everytime I hear someone complain about front end noise I can relate I wen a year replacing everything and everytime it was a disapointment even took it to 2 shops they couldnt find anything wrong its very annoying!!! FINALLY got to the endlinks and problem sloved it was a great day!! althoguh thats just my 2 cents

You could unbolt your swaybar endlinks on the front and zip tie them out of the way to rule that out...as far as clunking these are the most common cause strut rod bushings (especially when you step on the brake or turn the wheel and hit a bump) Mine where so bad it used to drag the front tires if I did a k turn ,loose K-member bolts ,lower control arm bushings ,inner/outer tie rods Or if the ball joint boots on the upper control arm or lower control arm are torn or missing

You should be able to test the tie rods and sway bar end links just by grabbing and twisting. If it moves with no effort, they are bad. A little effort, and they might be bad. A lot of effort, probably good.

Back