Aftermarket locker?

CanadianCoupe91

I am not quite satisfied with the factory locker in this car and was wondering if I could get some input on an Affordable aftermarket application. I have had detroit lockers before wich I think might be a little to aggressive for the car, I have also used an ARB in my Toyota but that wasn't very affordable. The one I would really like input on would be an Auburn, Anyone using one?

I have used an Eaton posi before and have one for a 7.5" Ford that I plan to use in my LX. Considerably better than the Ford unit.

Hate to poop the party, but that unit is a 31 spline and no-worky de-birdy.
Here's the specs on the right Auburn diff, though:

And here's a correct Auburn unit @ Jeg's.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_15060_-1

I believe gldiii is using the Auburn, so maybe he'll chime in here. I've heard very good things about the Auburn and Eaton. One good alternative is the stock locker with a "Cobra" carbon Fiber clutch kit. It comes with a stiffer S spring and carbon fiber inserts on the clutches. The kits are about $115 from FRP, Summit, or you can ebay them from Parkway Ford.

Daspanka

Daspanka,

Thanks for posting that. I knew it was not the correct spline but just posted the Ebay link as an example of the unit.

Should have input it though as Canadian might not have caught it. Sorry bro.

I have an Eaton unit in my 4x4 and prefer it to the Auburn but both are better than stock. I have a 7.5 Eaton posi I bought on Ebay for $50 with very light use. I picked up brand new 3.73's as well for $35 for the same unit. Deals can be found.

Hate to poop the party, but that unit is a 31 spline and no-worky de-birdy.
Here's the specs on the right Auburn diff, though:

And here's a correct Auburn unit @ Jeg's.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_15060_-1

I believe gldiii is using the Auburn, so maybe he'll chime in here. I've heard very good things about the Auburn and Eaton. One good alternative is the stock locker with a "Cobra" carbon Fiber clutch kit. It comes with a stiffer S spring and carbon fiber inserts on the clutches. The kits are about $115 from FRP, Summit, or you can ebay them from Parkway Ford.

Daspanka

That sounds nice and cheap ;) Better than welding hey..lol, Thats a joke, last thing I need is you guys actually thinking I would do that :eek: My locker seemed to work fine for the first 5000k I had the car but now she's one legging every time i don't want it too. I believe in my own driving experience it is easier to DRIVE a car with a locker rather than something you constantly are questioning. So gotta be safe and have a locker right?:D

I'm using an Auburn Pro in my turbo car...fells like a stock trac loc but always spins both tires and tracks much straighter than my 91. I've driven it with street tires, drag radials and slicks. So far no complaints. My 91 has a stock trac loc that was rebuilt about 20k miles ago...no complaints with it either, except the tendency to kick the rear end over to one side a little whenever the tires start spinning.

Unless you have over 600 rwtq and race the car regularly, I'd just stay the the trac loc and do a rebuild with alt plate stacking and an F150 "S" spring.

David

Last edited:
I love the Eaton True Trac. I have one in my V8 LX and one in the 9-inch in my 57. Both work great.

Back