Modified Top

Flex

A few pictures of my modified Fast Freddy top. First one is next to my brother's Magnum Powers top.

Attachments

• IMG_1144b.JPG
    IMG_1144b.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1147b.JPG
    IMG_1147b.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1148b.JPG
    IMG_1148b.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 106
The first picture Took out too much of my modded hat. Here is a better shot of the throat size compared to the MP.

Attachments

• IMG_1144c.JPG
    IMG_1144c.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 113
Do you mean the first picture in the first post and the picture in the second?

I had to compress them in order to met the size limitation so it was cutting off the bottom of the photo as in the first post. That cut out a section of the throat.

I had to flip the photo in paint to keep it from cropping the top. So it is just a mirror image. The throat is literally two times bigger than the MP top next to it.

I installed the top and my ported and enlarged IC tubes along with my ported intercooler and boost increased from an average of 11 to an average of 13.

I installed the top and my ported and enlarged IC tubes along with my ported intercooler and boost increased from an average of 11 to an average of 13.

Funny thing is, as air flow becomes more efficient, your boost should in theory be less......................

I have read that posted before and found the result odd too when based on that information.

If you think about it though, boost is the amount of air forced through the system and into the intake. Freeing up the restrictions in the system should thus allow more air to be forced through and boost should increase not decrease.

The only way that pressure should be lost is if a major dead point is created in the system or if a substanial amount of velocity is lost. The only way that logically this could happen is if diameter of the system somehow was significantly larger than what the SC require. Similiar to putting 4" exhaust on a 4 cylinder engine. The result would be a drastic loss of velocity and flow.

We know that this is not the case in the factory design as the lower IC tube is horrific in shape and ID.

Other than this modification and a 10 % SC pulley the previous owner put on, my car is bone stock. After installing my modified top, intercooler and IC tubes I warmed the car up and went to test performance. From a standing stop, the car smoked both tires for 30 feet. Couldn't do it when I first bought it. I can post a picture of what is left of my Yoka's.

I like to think of it this way: Pick up a straw and plug one end and blow into it. Easy to pressurize that slim tube. Now take a paper towel tube, put your hand over the end and pressurize it. Takes a bit more work. Same it true for the SC system. If you increase the volume that needs to be pressurized, then it won't pressurize it as high, as the amount of time allowed to pressurize the system remains the same. I guess if you slowed down the valve train and could hold the intake closed longer, maybe the boost would increase.... Just a thought. Might be nothing more then in interesting theory..

I have read that posted before and found the result odd too when based on that information.

If you think about it though, boost is the amount of air forced through the system and into the intake. Freeing up the restrictions in the system should thus allow more air to be forced through and boost should increase not decrease.

The only way that pressure should be lost is if a major dead point is created in the system or if a substanial amount of velocity is lost. The only way that logically this could happen is if diameter of the system somehow was significantly larger than what the SC require. Similiar to putting 4" exhaust on a 4 cylinder engine. The result would be a drastic loss of velocity and flow.

We know that this is not the case in the factory design as the lower IC tube is horrific in shape and ID.

Other than this modification and a 10 % SC pulley the previous owner put on, my car is bone stock. After installing my modified top, intercooler and IC tubes I warmed the car up and went to test performance. From a standing stop, the car smoked both tires for 30 feet. Couldn't do it when I first bought it. I can post a picture of what is left of my Yoka's.

A1,

You are looking at it from the perspective that the factory system is maxed out for size for the supercharger as it sits. I don't believe this to be the case but far from it.

You cannot compare the power your lungs have to a machine capable of forcing a lot of air through the induction.

Take a 1500 what hair dryer and turn on to full blast and listen to it push air all happy. Now take the reducer cone that most of them come with and install it. What happens? The dryer loads up and you can hear the motor now working harder to push the air. Put your hand over the end to further obstruct the flow and what happens? The dryer loads up more.

I think the factory tubes are too small for the system much like the exhaust is too restrictive This is the way we should be looking at the stock setup. As long as the IC tubes are not enlarged to the point of being too large, flow should only improve and increase.

Back