water pump is turning into a disaster

BrentSC

hey guys i got the whole car ripped apart as of this minute(not auctually). im trying to replace the water pump because it went on me today... so far it looks like im trying to do an engine rebuild because to take one part off i have to take the whole engine apart.. does anyone know the simplest way to take the water pump off,??????? so far i got the altenator unbolted but it wont come out so now im trying to get the coil off so i can get the alternator off so i can get to the brackt thats around the powersteering pump so i can do what i have been trying to get off for 2 hours, get the water pump off lol any help right now would be really really appricieated lol thanks guys..

brent

Just remove the upper IC pipe, Intercooler, then use a Power steering puller and remove the pulley so you can get the bracket off that goes between the PS pump and the Water pump. Then remove the belt, and unbolt the water pump. I did this recently and it took about 30 minutes to get everything off, then I had to wait to drain the water and get the surface clean for the RTV and install the new pump.

- Dan

I've never actually done one but I've done the entire top half down to the intake manifold. Here's what I got from my local documentation. It seems a little out of order to me but it may help you. On Item #5, you can remove the intercooler without pulling the SC top off but that's your call. Pulling the SC top and tube, Coil, and alternator gives you additional room and also give you the ability to remove the entire power steering bracket instead of pulling off the pulley. I think pulling off the pulley requires a pulley puller. Say that three times fast.. :). Additionally, once the bracket is out of the way it's just two hoses and some fluid to get that power steering pump and bracket out of the car and out of the way. Hope this helps and maybe an expert will chime in here.

Water Pump Removal

1. Drain cooling system.
  2. On EFI engines, remove fan shroud retaining screws. Remove fan/clutch assembly retaining bolts.
  3. Remove fan/clutch assembly and shroud.
  4. Rotate main accessory drive belt tensioner. Remove main drive belt and water pump pulley.
  5. Remove power steering pump pulley and remove water pump to power steering pump brace. NOTE: On supercharged engines, it may be necessary to remove the intercooler to gain access to power steering pump pulley. Refer to Intercooler/Charge Air Cooler (CAC) Service and Repair.
  6. On EFI engines, disconnect coolant bypass hoses at water pump. On supercharged engines, disconnect oil cooler tube and bypass hose.
  7. Disconnect heater hose at water pump (EFI engines) and disconnect lower radiator hose.
  8. Remove upper crankshaft sensor cover (supercharged engines).
  9. Remove water pump retaining bolts and pump. Discard old gasket. CAUTION: If using a prying device to assist in water pump removal, be careful not to damage the mating surfaces.

im thinking of cutting the bracket, pulling the piece off so i dont have to fool around with the rest of the power steering pully, altenator and all that stuff , then i will weld the bracket back together when im done

good idea?????? lol

brent

Now there's a mod I haven't read about yet! Did you invent it?

no i didnt invent it lol. when people are doing headgasket jobs we usually tell them to just throw the bracket away.

its kinda like the bolt that holds the FPR bracket to the back of the driver side head. its not needing either. the fuel rail has plenty of support without it.

there's no need for ,a puller -for the PS Pump pully - pull the bracket and PS pump as a unit

Back