HELP!! More vacuum problems! ???

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
:confused:

Ok now i've noticed when running my AC that everytime i go up a hill my vents shut off... I'm thinking i eaither have a vac line hooked up wrong? or i just don't have enough vacuum... Also my power brakes are a real PITA when the car is idling... really beggining to wish i would have stuck with the stock cam.. I had more power and the car was alot faster and alot more drivable.. I also blow oil out some mystery location when i'm in the boost very long.. I really think my pcv system is not getting enough vacuum.. I'm getting 10hg at idle in park (my cam specs are in my sig) and i really don't think the cam is agressive enough to make it act like this... is it??? Can i add a vacuum canister or somthing so my wife will actually drive the car again?? What a day... I took the wife out on a date and the rear-view mirror fell off! then later i put the car in reverse to back out of a parking spot and the glass in the passenger side mirror fell out! Geeze i'm really starting to wish i wouldn't have just dumped 2000$ and 8 months of wrenching into this piece of S**!.... Should have just sold it and bought somthing newer... Wanted a stang but I can't put 2 car seats in one without having the seats slid all the way up.. And somtimes i like to be able to drive the damn thing with the whole family... Pretty bad when my 200k integra feels like a better car... ARGH!!! If i cant get some of this crap straightend out then i'm not bringing it to the shootout! whats the point of hauling a car 230miles to run a 17 in mod-1?? I swear the stock class cars will be kicking my a** all over the place! somtimes it runs good sometimes it runs bad sometimes it runs really bad.... With nothing ported a stock cam and nothing but a K&N cone, 5% blower OD and IC fan it was running low-mid 8's (1/8th mile 70 degree temprature) No way in hell it even comes close to that now... Sure its got more power on the top end (to a point) but it used to lay waist to the back tires through 2nd gear if you floored it from a dead stop.... Now it just spins a couple feat and runs turdy untill you get up to about 30mph or so.... Stinking 9/10psi of boost is not helping anything... Sure ohh yeah it helps loads to port everything and open up airflow bla bla yeah right... i'm 100% positive that my 13psi i used to make made a hell of alot more power than the 9psi i make now restrictions or not.... I'm about to put a stock non ported blower back on it so i actually have some power again...

Last edited:
where is the canister on the 94?? I have my wifes 94 back together with the heads all ported to hell and a 580 lift not so long durration cam and of course a basic tune just to get it running.The tip in off the start it farts out and unless you know how to get it going off the start you will stall it every time.Once you get it going the thing goes like a bat out of hell.I'm wondering if I have a vacum leak or it is all in the tunning as it needs a dyno tune.With this cam when applying the brakes the vacum goes to 8lbs of vacum as I believe it is suppose to with this cam.I guess I'll have to add a canister of some sort to increase the vacum and keep my AC from going from the front vents to the winshield vents.

I should be getting my cheapo AF guage in a couple days maybe that will give me some idea whats going on??

I still think i have somthing wrong vacuum wise? seems that i shouldn't have all this trouble with my power brakes.. Plus it seems that my pcv system isn't working properly.

I'm going to try the propane route to check for leaks somtime this week... Tried the carb leaner and couldnt find anything so..... maybe i still have one somwhere...

If you are blowing oil out under boost, maybe you have faulty PCV valves. They are supposed to seal under boost to prevent the increased crankcase pressure from launching tons of oil into the intake. Maybe that PCV hose that feeds back into the intake tube is unplugged.

On my 1990, the vacuum canister is in the passenger side front fender. The cruise is in the driver's side.

Picked up a new pcv valve(made sure it was the correct valve for the sc not the NA motor pn 145 i believe), some vac line and some hose clamps.. Going to see what i can do when i get off work tonight..

A cheapo AFR gauge will tell you next to nothing. You need to get the car tuned.

If i go ahead and buy a chip from you can we do somthing through the mail to get rid of some of these drivability isues? Also when i upgrade my injectors and maf will that be an aditinal charge for a re-tune?

A quick update...

Found the oil leak (its the blower no biggie to fix couple hours whee..) found another small vac leak (unhooked hose) got about 11hg now at idle.. Not the greatest but better.. Had it out last night in the low 50degree weather and jeeze!! It runs like a raped ape! What the hell?? could my bap sensor be out of whack and pulling way to much timming when its warmer??? In the cool evening air it was downrigh pis(*$d off! My butt dyno says i pick up about 75horsepower when its cool outside what the hell?? I went from barely spinning from a full throtle start to laying posi black marks 20' down the road and getting sideways going into second with my stock aod... I'm begging to like this thing again! now why so much power now and not in say 70/75degree weather?? It truely feels like a 300hp car now when its cold outside!

would a short AC condensor and a DIC make it act right in warmer weather?? My idle is even better when its cool out.. so is my vacuum at idle..

Jacob,

The BAP could certainly cause you some problems, but I don't know if it would be so dramatic. It might, though. The ECT sensor could be a culprit. You can test the ECT with a voltmeter, but BAP needs a frequency meter. My Craftsman multimeter does them both.

You know, it's funny. I have a slight drivability issue with my car that is the opposite of yours. It seems to run roughly when it is cold and damp outside, but smoothly when it is dry. I went through testing the BAP sensor just to try to track it down and see if the different atmospheric pressure at rainy times could cause a problem. The BAP sensor checked out A-OK, even at this age (17 years). All the sensors seemed good, actually. I think that I might have a bad ground connection. I want to replace my negative battery cable and see if that helps.

Anyway, if you can do the testing and post the numbers here, I can tell you if they are in a good range. I would need your approximate altitude and weather condition at the time of the test for the BAP portion. For the ECT, you should test once with the engine hot and once with it cold (mark down the outside temperature then too).

Back