who has the best buy on a spec clutch

shawpdx1

looking to buy a spec clutch 1 or 2 not sure yet Dont want a hard pedal. 2 maybe more tha enough for me there rated for over 400hp probably 1 anybody

might wanna do a search on spec and centerforce clutches cuz one of the 2 hard a hard pedal feel after install.

SCP and spinningwheels are the only 2 places i've seen with them. unless u can find a used one from someone here.

All of teh spec clutches give an extremely hard pedal> the difference from spec 1 to spec 2 is the disc from what I can tell

The centerforce has a lighter pedal feel and works off of cetrifigal activated weights to give more clamping pressure as teh rpms increase

sounds like centerforce is the way to go there expensive. is there any other clutch thats good or better then OEM thats couple hundred, I plan on a new flywheel and slave so looking to hopefully spend $400.00 but I gues it could go up to 5 or 6 UGLY

I have a centerforce dual friction in my sc. I loved it. Pedal feel is certainally a bit firmer than stock but not near as bad as my buddies 93 sc with the Spec clutch. Having driven both I perfer the centerforce. I ve also heard people claim they dont hold up well. Im sure some one will chime in here.

Rick

I've got the Centerforce II...

The clutch feels the same as stock. But I don't think it held up well. I had a new stock flywheel installed, along with a new clutch pilot bearing and Slave cylinder. Everything was bled out and it felt as good as the stock clutch, maybe a little better at higher RPM but that only lasted about 10,000miles. Now it starts to vibrate/chatter when I take off from a stop light. Feels like a warped brake rotor is the best way I can describe it.

I'll be looking to swap it out in the future.

Centerforce II is a good clutch for a street car with little to no track time. It uses a stock LUK clutch disk and pressure plate modified for their higher clamping force as RPM goes up.

The Dual Friction uses standard wear material on one side of the clutch disk, and a different wear material on the other side. It's a more aggressive clutch, but the pressure plate is about the same as the Centerforce II, so it has about the same pedal feel as stock, and Centerforce II.

If looking for a good price, look around for a dealer of the products that is looking to move product rather than make big money. You'll find them out there, maybe e-bay?

Spec makes a good clutch, I have their Stage 2 clutch in my 93. But a history of cars with spec clutches breaking parts has removed the faith from the clutch for use in our cars.

Last edited:
I had a spec stage III clutch on my 90sc with minor mods and it was way too much of a clutch for that car; the pedal was extremelly hard. You don't want too much of a clutch, or you will wear out your motor mounts and the transmission faster. Also stay alway from cheap ebay brand clutches because they will not last for long.

Last edited:
now I dont know what to do, maybe I should just go with a stock luk or something I want something thats going to hold up not have to jump under it again in 6months or a year. I dont race the car just want quality parts that once installed I dont have to worry about anymore. I have a buddy at Napa can get me a stocker for $180 guess it usually sells for 285.00 I guess I better find out what the brand is $45.00 for new fly wheel and $82.00 for new slave. Just sold my auto last night Ive been on the fence about sellling this one for along time but the guy made me an offer I couldnt refuse $1000 and it need a new trans so Im going to dump that in my 5 speed. the question is what clutch is tryed and true for our cars? I dont have any big performace mods yet as Ive been doing basic mechanical repairs after the clutch I'll be ready for the performance up grades , exuast, 10%, bigger throttle body, fuel pump, etc. what is the very best cluth for our rides that hold up well? w/out a stiff pedal. thanks

Luk is the stock clutch, I got confused with valeo. Luk is the clutch disk and pressure plate used by Centerforce who then welds weights to the pressure plate fingers to increase clamping force as RPM's increase.

Thus a factory replacement LUK clutch will give you as much life as your original, plus give the standard clutch pedal feel.

The Centerforce II clutch should be similar, but will have increased clamping force as RPM's go up.

Either would be a good option for you. Make sure you get the flywheel surfaced if it has any indication of wear. Plan on putting in a new pilot bearing as well.

yeah Im getting clutch, throw out bearing,new fly wheel,and slave. I only want to go in there once. and I;ve read posts about swaping the gear oil out? for smoother shifts whats that about what flavor? BTW Im going with the duel friction Centerforce why not

I dont know if they changed but it sounds like they did. The dual friction used to have the centrifigal weights wheras the centerforce 1 and 2 used a heavier pedal pressure via increase clamping force of the pressure plate. The dual friction has always been a good street clutch and thats what its marketed as. I personally love that clutch as it doesnt require a hulk hogan type leg to operate. Many have had good experiences with thier SC's racing with the DF clutch from precious debates here on the subject. The Spec Clutch is a race type peice and will be much harsher on your drivetrain. Less slip equals more shock.

Soooo..Go stock or go dual friction..Or is the CF I or CF II now have the centrifical weights..Go that way

If you want I have a spec stage 2 I will sell you has about 7000 miles on it. will let it go for best offer$

Last edited:
My spec stage 2 clutch slips just fine for getting going and pedal pressure is about the same as my ford ranger with it's new factory clutch.

Mike My SPEC I clutch is hard as a rock...And it isnt my master or slave being they have just been changed out. Was like that from new.

It slips just fine but the SPEC clutches do tend to shock the drivetrain when dumped..mine has 0 slip when dumped it seems

Last edited:
Maybe I got a bum CF II...

From what I remember, all centerforce clutches have the centrifugal weights. For the earlier SC's 89-93, the clutch disc is 11" in diameter and the Dual-Friction is what's available. For the 94-95 the Disc is 11.5" and the Dual friction is not available but the CF II is. So that is what I got.

I drove an SC with a DF on a stock flywheel, the pedal was firmer but the feel was awsome, take up was quick and easy.

Also, if you are in there, you might want to think about a lighter flywheel. I drove a SC with a lighter flywheel thinking that low speed operation would suffer but I couldn't tell any difference, it felt stock.

I don't know what the general consensus is on the lighter flywheels anymore so everyone might have something good or bad to say. I'm certainly thinking about it when I change out the clutch which I didn't have too much LUK with.

Damon, clear your pm file

If you need to replace the flywheel, and an aluminum one is not that much more, there is no reason not to get the aluminum flywheel. Spec or Mcleod have been the options. If it costs quite a bit more, it only makes sense if you are looking for some more power. If you're just using it as it was designed, no need to go aluminum.

You can put the 11.5" clutch on a early car if you want. Last I heard there wasn't any really good reason to go with the slightly bigger clutch as the 11" is fine, and it weighs less.

Back