Why I hate tape to seal IC tubes

kenewagner

This is an Intercooler cut open to make into a Dbl IC. See anything wrong with this picture:rolleyes:

Ken

Attachments

• Ic blockage.jpg
    Ic blockage.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 255
I don't remember and I don't have an IC off the car today. Wouldn't a tube on the end of a shop vac likely clean that up? I'm sure that's a no brainer.;) Maybe even holding it upside down and blasting it with some compressed air.

Then remove the blower and install new rotors...:eek:

Last edited:
Damn! Does rotor coating really peel like that. I would assume maybe a flaking but that looks like latex paint peeling.

The coating peeling could be the result of worn out rotor bearings. I'd check the blower too and be prepared to rebuild it.

Didnt even think about the coating on the rotors. This junk wont blow out with compressed air. It had to pulled out piece by piece. It is now clean out and ready to be a new Dbl Ic. I figured it was blocking 20 to 25% of the tubes. I am not concerned about the blower that did this as I bought this IC to build into a Dbl IC from another member

Ken

Didnt even think about the coating on the rotors. This junk wont blow out with compressed air. It had to pulled out piece by piece. It is now clean out and ready to be a new Dbl Ic. I figured it was blocking 20 to 25% of the tubes. I am not concerned about the blower that did this as I bought this IC to build into a Dbl IC from another member

Ken

i think mine is close to the same from all my rtv.. every time i take the ic off i try to clean it really good. and more and more always comes out?:eek::eek:

dont gas eat sillcone/rtv??? i think it does.. didnt think about it till now. but im gonna use some gas in it next time to break up any rtv or anything like that in it.. let it soak for a few or w/e....:rolleyes:

High rpm will cause the coating to flake off due to centrifugal force. It's actually quite a normal phenomenon. I've seen rotors go from looking great to completely bald in a few dyno pulls to 6500rpm @ 20% OD.

High rpm will cause the coating to flake off due to centrifugal force. It's actually quite a normal phenomenon. I've seen rotors go from looking great to completely bald in a few dyno pulls to 6500rpm @ 20% OD.

my factory blower on my red 94 sc looked perfect at 70,000 miles. I had it ported by ESM to DIII....Overdrove the crud out of it and.....Within a week...Where did my coating go?? I think the later model eaton blower coatings are much better at holding up

my factory blower on my red 94 sc looked perfect at 70,000 miles. I had it ported by ESM to DIII....Overdrove the crud out of it and.....Within a week...Where did my coating go?? I think the later model eaton blower coatings are much better at holding up
Perhaps somewhat. Kevin doesnt' seem to be having any problems with this S-Port rotors but Mark K has blown the coatings off his GTP rotors more than once so I don't know.

Back