PDA

View Full Version : My raidator

PETEp
09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I have changed my antifreeze every 2 years, I use pre mix so I dont get mineral build up. I bought the sc in 1996 it is a 1990. The car had very good maintance before I bought it. Should I put some bars or anything else in to protect my HGs. The HGs have not blown and they have not been changed 99,000 miles thanks for your help.:confused::confused:

rickbtbird
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I hear that a lot of owners do the HG job around 90-100k miles. Not that I disagree with them but I think it all depends on what modification you've made to your motor, how often you do your maintenance, and how extreme you drive the car.

PETEp
09-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I never push the car and its not a daily driver. I read some were that Bars stop leak is good maintance for HGs. I am not one that likes to put a lot of junk in my car.

rickbtbird
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Bars stop leak hey.. I don' know if that's a good idea. There's a right way and a wrong way for everything and I've never experienced where something in a can will assisted a head gasket. I'd be real hesitant to do something like that as I don't know what other areas of the cooling system it's going to seal up that it shouldn't.

I've attached the tech sheet on the Bar’s Leaks Head Gasket Repair. This sounds like a product that an unscrupulous used car dealer would use to cover up a problem motor.

Miller
09-10-2007, 07:13 PM
i was going to buy a tacoma a few months ago from a shop, it was a sweet deal i was excited about it. Opened up rad cap and saw all the brown chunks floating around from a fresh barsleak job. walked awayyyyyyyyyyyy

ps my first sc got them like a vitamin and still- BOOOOOOOM