car runs fine for weeks then will stall out??

Joey D

93 sc...runs great. boosts 11 psi. out of nowhere the rpm gauge will go to zero and the check engine light will come on. then the car will stall. when you go to restart it black smoke comes out the exhaust and it wont start. if u let it sit for a few mins it will start back up and run fine... the crankshaft sensor and fuel pump had been replaced...~~~ is the problem?

93 sc...runs great. boosts 11 psi. out of nowhere the rpm gauge will go to zero and the check engine light will come on. then the car will stall. when you go to restart it black smoke comes out the exhaust and it wont start. if u let it sit for a few mins it will start back up and run fine... the crankshaft sensor and fuel pump had been replaced...~~~ is the problem?

i bet its the dis have you changed it yet?? if not i would change it

the DIS is a very expensive part if u buy it brand new.

i would start with something cheap and if that doesnt work, move onto the next thing.

im trying to get him to not just throw money at the car trying to fix it. that never works.

anyway, i think its the cam sensor that gives tach signal.

the DIS is a very expensive part if u buy it brand new.

i would start with something cheap and if that doesnt work, move onto the next thing.

im trying to get him to not just throw money at the car trying to fix it. that never works.

anyway, i think its the cam sensor that gives tach signal.

only reason i said dis he said he replaced the cam sensor.. :eek::D;):p

ops i read crank as cam sorry nm

yea try the cam sensor?? i am tired.. havnt been to bed and i worked all night!!!

thanks for the replies. where do i get the cam sensor. and is it easy enough for me to fix? thanks again.

u can get it at advanceatuo or autozone. the sensor is right below the blower snout. i think its two 7 or 8mm bolts to take it out. pretty simple.

i replaced the cam sensor last week and yesterday the car stalled again. started right back up after a minute. its been perfect till it stalled yesterday

Might be the DIS over heating. Do a search for DIS to figure out what the best heat sink compond to use under it. If this does not correct it, have the DIS tested or replace it if it looks original. You can also get a good used one here from another member. Check the good and bad sellers section before you buy.

i searched and read through all 8 pages. did not see any photos or know what it looks like and where its located???

Here you go> Do NOT use dieletric grease on the DIS. Go to a Radio Shack or a computer store and get yourself heat sink compound. Put a thin layer on the DIS and mount it up. The DIS is on top of the air compressor. Unplug both ends and remove the four screws.

No problem hope that fixes it. Most people forget that these cars will run without a cam sensor so how can they cause it to stall and not start back up. They will make the car stumble abit when they do go bad or it might take 3 key turs to learn the fireing order but im betting your DIS or its overheating and just needs some heat sink compond.
Nothing worse then a car you cant trust to drive. Mark

having the same trouble with an SC but its more often. new DIS, new cam sensor, new coil pack, and lots of other new stuff trying to fix this. it sucks.
wish i knew how to fix it im scared to drive it:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back