Weird starting problems

Evan_90SC

My friend has an 89 sc auto, and his sc has been having some weird starting problems. At first, he would turn the key and nothing would happen at all, then if I got out and wiggled the positive battery cable while he turned the key, it would start up. It also starts up if one person wiggles the cable, then gets back in and starts it up. So we replaced the battery cables and it worked good for about a week, then the same problem occured again. Next, we replaced the starter solenoid, and everything went good for about another week, but just today, his car wouldn't start again unless the positive battery cable was wiggled first. Anyone got any ideas on what we should do next?

Last edited:
Does it crank from the starter solenoid when you either short the two big terminals together or connect 12 volts to the small terminal? If it does, then you might have a bad ignition switch.
Sometimes, tightening the connector on the small terminal helps.

Does it crank from the starter solenoid when you either short the two big terminals together or connect 12 volts to the small terminal? If it does, then you might have a bad ignition switch.
Sometimes, tightening the connector on the small terminal helps.

I don't know, we haven't tried that. Where are the terminals?

On the starter relay - that's what I meant when I said starter solenoid in my previous post.

Back