Which of these two blower OD combos should I use?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Hi all,

I need some help deciding what to do. I blew the headgaskets in my 89 after the rebuild...i think I atribute it to overdriving the 94 blower too much (about 12%) on a rather stock set up. This according to a recent post (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92834).

In any case, I now find my self in a dilema to prevent from having the same thing happen to me.

Which would you guys recomend to do and why:

1- keep the 94 blower and lower the boost. I could do this by a- using only the ESM 10 rib jackshaft pulley or b- by going with a stock jackshaft and a 89-93 pulley or c- a 5% pulley.

or

2- go with an early style 89-93 blower and keep the full 10 rib ESM kit which is about 12% overdrive.

What are your thoughts guys?

With no doubt, you want the late model blower. Shot put that early model thing into the corn field.

As for OD, it really depends on what kind of intercooler you have and how well the blower is ported. I have a FMIC with methanol injection and I am going to try 25%OD sometime. Right now i'm currently at 15% and doing well.

The 5% would put you around 15psi.

With no doubt, you want the late model blower. Shot put that early model thing into the corn field.

As for OD, it really depends on what kind of intercooler you have and how well the blower is ported. I have a FMIC with methanol injection and I am going to try 25%OD sometime. Right now i'm currently at 15% and doing well.

The 5% would put you around 15psi.

Hey now, I have an early model blower at 15% OD that makes 15psi all the way up. I need to dyno this thing and see how much poop it makes. :D

Everyone always talks about getting a tune, getting a tune tune tune.
WHAT THE HELL IS A TUNE?!?!?
i feel really stupid asking this but i can't wait anymore, someone tell me please

a tune is when you adjust the parameters of the engines computer to compensate for mods that have been done to the car. its usually done through a chip that plugs into the EEC unit. If your experienced enough and understand how to use the software that comes with the chip yourself you can do it yourself but for best results id get it on the dyno thats what i did.

you need to keep the 94 blower which is sooo much better than the early model, just lower the boost.

yeah, but im trying to see what will work best with what I have now....i have stock intercooler so trying to figure out which would balance out better.

Hey now, I have an early model blower at 15% OD that makes 15psi all the way up. I need to dyno this thing and see how much poop it makes. :D

So what do you suggest?

The details on what I have are bellow (no tune):

Removed air silencer
ZR Motorsports Intake with K&N
73MM C&L MAF, stock 30 lb/hr injectors
94-95 Style M90 Supercharger and matching plenum,
Fast Freddie Raised SC Top
ESM 10 Rib Quick-change SC pulley kit (+- 12 % overdrive)
Rebuilt engine/heads, block bored .020 over,
Melling (94-95 style) high flow oil pump, ARP head studs,
Clevite 77 bearings all around, Total Seal gapless piston rings,
94-95 SC Windage Tray
1.73 Ford Motorsport Roller Rockers (w/chevy 7.192" pushrods),
BHJ steel harmonic balancer, ASP Underdrive Pulleys,
3 Piece Aluminum Idler Pulley set
Solid rubber engine mounts.
180* Robert Shaw thermostat
Rail-mounted fuel pressure gauge
Switched LO & HI speed fans to custom switch panel in ash tray,
Switched Intercooler Fan,
Switched 94-95 style "Pusher" fan for extra cooling.
Kooks Mid-Length headers
Entire 2.5"-3"-2.5" exhaust system with hi-flo cats, large Magnaflow resonator, straight pipes out the back (no mufflers)

Last edited:
yeah, but im trying to see what will work best with what I have now....i have stock intercooler so trying to figure out which would balance out better.

well running an early model inefficient blower at 12% is a whole lot worse than running a late model efficient blower at 5%, especially with a stock i/c. if the early model was ported my answer might be different but stock for stock there's no comparison, late model hands down, just my 2 cents..

Everyone always talks about getting a tune, getting a tune tune tune.
WHAT THE HELL IS A TUNE?!?!?
i feel really stupid asking this but i can't wait anymore, someone tell me please

An engine operates best and lasts longest under certain (air/fuel ratio +timing)parameters.

Any time you modify the engine on your car, even with just a cold air intake you are shying away from stock which is throwing your desired parameters off a little bit. The more modifying you do, the further you are moving away from these "desired parameters." Pretty soon, you do enough mods, you find out that you are doing your engine more harm then good. Long story short, if you plan on doing more then just a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust be careful with the stock tune.

No matter what you see other people doing out on the streets with their cars, this information applys to all of them also. Most important modification in my opinion.

Chris

Last edited:

Well, you can take your poop and put it on my poop. Maybe the 1/4 mile dyno will tell us.

well running an early model inefficient blower at 12% is a whole lot worse than running a late model efficient blower at 5%, especially with a stock i/c. if the early model was ported my answer might be different but stock for stock there's no comparison, late model hands down, just my 2 cents..

would that then be the concensus? Run the 94 blower with lower boost? Dave, input??

I'm not going to say that you have to get your car tuned, but if it isn't tuned then all bets are off.

the car is not tuned yet, probably wont be for a while. I'm particularly interested in seeing which blower to use because the one that wont be used will be sold. I need cash b/c i might be buying another tbird. However, im thinking of making this 89 the car that will get the most performance mods so tuning will definatelly be in order soon.

Whatdya think...keep the 94 blower or 89 blower?

LATE MODEL BLOWER

It just has more potential than an early model blower. If you got lucky then MAYBE you'll get a ported early model blower to perform with a stock late model.

Can make more boost, you can buy a good inlet plenum for it, henceforth, more power.

No brainer, really.

Back