PCM/ECM replacement?

SCandelous95

So my car has been throwing check engine light and stalling out from time to time.

took it to the shop and they said the computer (pcm) or (ecm) took a dump and needs to be replaced. they said it was throwing like 10 codes and they determined the computer is bad. i have the J-mod (inject tech chip) installed from way back, however that dosent seem to be the issue.

i've also got some clogged cats, possibly computer related, but combo of just needing to be replaced too.

Anyhow, the computer is 2 days out from Ford and costs $315, and then about $100 to be reflashed.

does this seem normal? are there any leads on a better deal for the PCM?

Thanks,

I don't have info on a good source for an EEC replacement (sorry), but I was wondering... once I heard of someone who had about 10 different codes as well and terrible running. After chasing it down, it turned out to be that a bad spark plug wire was arcing through the wire nearby a wiring harness. I guess it was causing voltage spikes to get into the EEC and cause all sorts of problems. Just replacing the spark plug wires cured the problem. Just a possibility!

Ford PCMs almost NEVER go bad!! Also, the EEC-IV system cannot be 'flashed'. The computer needs to be an EXACT replacement per the calibration code. With that in mind, I would be dubious of the shop you're dealing with. I smell a rat!!

I don't know of any 2-digit code for it, but a code 998 is FMEM which means Failure Mode Effects Management or PCM is out to lunch.

Can you provide the codes retrieved and the symptoms?? We might be able to help.

Take the chip out (J-mod??, I thought that was something you did to the auto transmission)

Then disconnect the battery for a while, reconnect. Scan for codes and note them down. Then clear the codes. And run the car for 10 miles at least and check for codes again.

Service those that come back. And get a different mechanic.

The J-mod is Jerry's modification of the 4r70w transmission. Inject Tech was Jerry's chip business, it goes with the J-mod very well. More than likely if the chip itself was causing problems, the engine wouldnt start and the fan would come on instead.

- Dan

sparkplugs: yeah, that was my first thought. but they seem to be alright.

i got a replacement pcm yesterday from a buddy who has an SC here in town. however the part numbers didnt match up for some reason. they got it installed but it wont shift. so, by swapping the computers, they were able to verify that the old one was bad, but the new (rebuilt) one is not an exact match.

the shop i take my car to, Auto-tek in Austin texas is a performance shop with dyno. they have also hosted some tccoa or thunderbird meets and dynos with Jerry a couple years back, so theyre not a shade tree shop. they had told me that those year ford pcms go bad from time to time.

anyhow, just trying to locate another pcm locally first and figure it out from there.

thanks for the input, i'll keep posted.

When my alternator was heading south the voltage was down around 11.5 and the thing threw all kinds of codes. Basically saying that every sensor on the car was out of range.

its a wrap

man, dont get me started on alternators! i've had to replace 4 in the past 2 years....damn rebuilt ones are not very reliable.

however, i got a new EEC from Ddubb (thankyou) and everything is ship shape.

i also chopped off my cats this weekend, and running straight pipes....man the bird sounds like a BEAST! love it...now all i gotta do is find a place to inspect it! :p

thanks guys.

Back