Crank Dampner Sleeve Broken Off - See Pic

mrecoolgar

Anyone else run into this.
Now I'm unsure if I want to repair , sell or part out.
2007-09-11002.jpg

2007-09-11003.jpg

was the bolt loose? mines a rebuilt one i did and it has 200k on it no breaks of cracks im really interested in what caused it they done just break something has to be loose or out of balance or worn out i seen one that the key was sloppy so it hammered back and forth the few millimeters it had of play untill it broke but again the bolt was loose letting it wiggle

I'll bet your hands were pretty filthy after that was done...Now would be a good time to clean your engine. Mine looked like that when i started...now I get oooh's and ahhh's when I open the hood....to bad it doesn't run right yet

Mine just did that Monday morning.
Haven't torn into it yet, but I know the bolt broke off and the balancer walked forward enough to lose the crank sensor signal.

Nick

I feel for ya. Same thing happened to mine after 800km on a fresh motor. I was so dissapointed I parked my car for 7 years. When I got back to it in the spring this year I found the cause to be a loose crankshaft bolt. It is not that hard to get out once you have all the front stuff out of the way. I just carefully pryed out the front seal and the remaining piece just pulled out. Hammer in a new seal and the new balancer and drive the car. And make sure the bolt is good and tight!!

Drew

Anyone else run into this.

pretty much everyone has (or will) run into this with the stock balancer... I broke three stockers before I figured out they couldn't be reused after being removed. My BHJ (from the original group buy way back when...) is the best investment I ever made for the car.

pretty much everyone has (or will) run into this with the stock balancer... I broke three stockers before I figured out they couldn't be reused after being removed. My BHJ (from the original group buy way back when...) is the best investment I ever made for the car.

hmm ive used my stocker on 3 engines with no problems and i check it all the time its one i rebuilt at home so it gets removed once a month to inspect.

everyone ive seen tat broke had a loose bolt or loose pulley on it .

Replacing it with that used balancer is only going to last a few months, until it breaks again. The crank sensor was probably damaged too, so plan to replace it.

David

Thanks for everyones input.
I learned something and feel better knowing it's a trait of these cars.

Last edited:
its not a trait of these cars its a trait of their cars ive owned 10 in 5 yrs and none had a broken balancer .

I'm at 175K miles with the stock balancer. I don't recommend using a stock one, but if you have a nice, strong bolt with sufficient thread engagement then you don't have to worry about it breaking on the snout.

Back