Another Shock Question

rickbtbird

95 SC, no real modifications except SPC exhaust yet to be installed soon. I don't plan on racing or driving the car real hard. Rear passenger side shock is soft and driver’s side is OK. I know I should replace both.
Front shocks were replaced just before I purchased the car last year.
Here are my choices:
  • Buy two rear OEM Shocks for $266.00 + shipping
  • Buy two rear Tokico Illumina Electronic Adjustables - EE3690 $224.80 shipped
Another thing I found interesting was the site where I can get just the rear Tokico's say they lower the car 1.25 inches. I thought the spring did the lowering (:)confused:).

Thanks in advance..

I would go with the OEM shocks, the Illumina 2 shocks don't seem to last very long in the SC application.

Their note about lowering the car is probably supposed to apply only to the spring & shock set that they offer.

cheers
Ed N.

I thought the origional ARC shocks were supplied by Tokico. They are valved a bit stiifer now.

If you want to lower the car, replacing all 4 shocks and springs at the same time is not difficult and springs are not that expensive.

bushings

while you're at it - check and replace any worn bushings you find in your suspension - it will help your ride a lot !!

The OEM shocks are Tokico supplied, but they have different valving than the Illumina 2. The Illuminas are stiffer than stock on the normal setting, but pretty much the same on the firm settting. And they seem to lose their pressure much quicker than the OEM units.

cheers
Ed N.

I'm using the entire Tokico kit and so far she's a sweet ride. I've also replaced all the bushings on the front as well which made a huge difference. I did the shocks springs last summer and the ride really improved, then did the bushings etc this year when I upgraded to the '94 style spindle and again what a huge improvement.

As for longevity of the Tokico's.... well over a year and still going strong. I don't exactly beat on my car either so its questionable. The springs are steady rate as well which I prefer over the other types.

I personally didnt care for the tokicos in my red sc. Seemed way to floaty in reg mode and ehhhhh in firm. Definitely didnt seem firmer. Had 1.5 inch lowering springs linear rate...They didnt help either.

My Teal SC has factory setup with same lowering springs. Feels much better then the tokicos.

A few months back I bought these but hav eyet to install them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPRI...emQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ012QQitemZ220147768186

They are non ARC but after experiencing the tokicos I'll try almost anything else. These are the original makers of S/T springs and now since selling to BellTech hav eopened a new company. These items are also made in USA which is kinda nice...Eventually I will see how they feel

Dont know anyone that has used them. They are for use with lowered vehicles however which is important. Mayeb I will try to get them done soon and give you an update. They have just been sitting around

Just so you know...

V8 Birds could have been optioned up the ARC system too.

What were the brand of shocks replaced up front on your car a year ago? Were they the original OEM Tokico's or the Illumina II?

Whatever was done up front, you should duplicate in the rear. I'd listen to Ed, he knows his suspension stuff. If you're sticking it out with the ARC go with the stock shocks. You'll see a nice improvement in ride for 30,000-40,000miles or so.

Wrong Parts in the Box

V8 Birds could have been optioned up the ARC system too.

What were the brand of shocks replaced up front on your car a year ago? Were they the original OEM Tokico's or the Illumina II?

Whatever was done up front, you should duplicate in the rear. I'd listen to Ed, he knows his suspension stuff. If you're sticking it out with the ARC go with the stock shocks. You'll see a nice improvement in ride for 30,000-40,000miles or so.

Been there, got wrong parts in the box
The front shock were repalced with OEM.

Last edited:
Check and see...

If you can get the originals from someone here (like Bill or Victor).... I'm not sure how your car is going to ride with Original replacements up front and Illumina II's in the back.

Back