Drag racing helmets SNELL?

Below 13.99 you need at minimum of a Snell 2000. You can pick them up at pretty much any speed shop or online at Summitt, JEGS, etc. They all sell the major brand names; Bell, Simpson, G-Force......

Ira

Im pretty sure Ira, it has to be snell 2005 now for NHRA rules, cannot be 5 years or older.

That makes it harder to find on ebay.
Is the 2000 OK
And does it have to be SA2000 "sportsauto" or can it be M2000 "Motorcycle".
Same question if it has to be 2005 SA or is M ok?

Do I need a helmet, and if so, what kind?
A helmet is required for the driver of any car or truck running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and for the rider of any motorcycle. Most drivers can use a helmet meeting SNELL K98, M2000, SA2000, M2005, or SA2005 specifications. Professional category and some alcohol burning vehicles require an SA rated helmet. It is important to note that the helmet rating must be designated on a tag INSIDE the helmet, or sewn to one of the helmet straps. The designation stenciled on the exterior of the helmet is insufficient for NHRA technical inspection. Also, some tracks require a helmet on ALL drivers, so check in advance.

Right from the NHRA site, so either or will still work.

Do I need a helmet, and if so, what kind?
A helmet is required for the driver of any car or truck running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and for the rider of any motorcycle. Most drivers can use a helmet meeting SNELL K98, M2000, SA2000, M2005, or SA2005 specifications. Professional category and some alcohol burning vehicles require an SA rated helmet. It is important to note that the helmet rating must be designated on a tag INSIDE the helmet, or sewn to one of the helmet straps. The designation stenciled on the exterior of the helmet is insufficient for NHRA technical inspection. Also, some tracks require a helmet on ALL drivers, so check in advance.

Right from the NHRA site, so either or will still work.

Open face is fine. And T1Bird is correct. I wrote Snell 2000 when I should have written SA2000. I read the side of the box I store mine in wrong. Also, inside the helmet it does say SFI Spec 31.1 2005 if that helps any.

Ira

Bruce, do you know any place in Toronto where I can get a helmet at a reasonable price

I just checked mine, it's got a Snell M2000 rating. (openface)

David

PS: Aftermarket superchargers, turbochargers or nitrous equipped cars also require the driver to wear an SFI approved fire jacket.

I just checked mine, it's got a Snell M2000 rating. (openface)

David

PS: Aftermarket superchargers, turbochargers or nitrous equipped cars also require the driver to wear an SFI approved fire jacket.

True. I went out and got one just in case some firebreathing tech inspector can actually tell the difference between stock and what I have ;)

Ira

Back