How long will stock pistons last?

SenReg15

Mine have about 50K on them and I plan on reusing them in the rebuild. Should I expect any problems?

Jeremy

of all the threads and posts i have read in the SC forums, not once have I seen anybody even mention that they're pistons were bad. I have a spare motor with 200K (KM's) with good pistons, and the motor in my car now has maybe 140 K KM's (Bill help me out here), and it runs like a dream come true....

I'm sure your old pistons will be fine, but have them checked out, or impregnated.

Stock pistons are well wearing...

Since stock pistons are made of Hyperutectic aluminum alloy, they are very hard and resistant to wear. As long as detonation doesn't rear it's ugly head, they can last a very long time.

However, detonation will crack them easily since they are somewhat brittle. Seen the pics of the SC engine that was run on 87 octane on a 100degree day. Hit Max boost and that's all she wrote...

Well its nice to hear good things about the pistons. Poor guy that had the car before me burned a hole through the top of the #2 piston at 75K miles. He had them all replaced though. Thanks for all the input.

Jeremy

Deep6, are these pics you saw of the blown SC available? I would like to see them too if you have them...thanx

Don't have the pics....

A shop out in Long Island had the pics. I can't remember the name of the guy who ran the shop. TommY? Or Timmy?

He had a shop out there and it "specialized" in SC's.

Back