fastest way to remove the trans

shawpdx1

got her up on jack stands, was looking at the best way to remove the trans. looks like drop the exuast from the maifolds, remove cross member, drop the drive line, unblot the bell housing. yank it out, also were do I disconnect the slave at? or is there and easier way thanks guys

Sounds about right. FWIW I usually drop the trans down on my chest and maneuver it out from there. I've found that a floor jack can be of some help too. Most of the transmission jacks I've seen/used are too tall to roll out from underneath the car with the trans on and it isn't much fun trying to muscle the trans on/off the jack underneath the car.

There is a black line going from the clutch master cylinder down to the passenger side of the transmission. The line plugs into a fitting on the slave cylinder. There is a white sleeve (may be yellow or brown from age) that you have to push in towards the transmission to disengage the teeth that hold the fitting together. Search around here as I think there are a couple of threads with pictures. Whatever you do don't just cut the line. They are hard to find and not cheap.

If my memory serves me correctly I had to take the 4 bolts holding the diff loose, take the drive shaft bolt loose and let it (the diff) ease down enough to pull the drive shaft out the back of the tranny over top of the differential. After unhooking all the other crap on the trans ease it out....

Last edited:
If my memory serves me correctly I had to take the 4 bolts holding the diff loose, take the drive shaft bolt loose and let it (the diff) ease down enough to pull the drive shaft out the back of the tranny over top of the differential. After unhooking all the other crap on the trans ease it out....

people do it 2 ways

1 the way i like is you know all the basic's of removing the trans and then pulling the tank to get the drive shaft out..

2 alot of other people on here consider droping the rear end easier i tryed this route once and my rear end bolts were frozen and didnt bother so i drop my tank...

centerforce wants another $50.00 for an allignment tool thats BS after spending that much on a clutch kit it should be in the kit. In my younger years I use to be able to line them up w/out one. any allingment tool will work right? maybe I can find one at Habor frieght

I forgot to mention the magnetic end on my drain plug on my trans had a like a 1/2 a teaspoon full of fine shavings, there was none in the fluid or at the bottom of the drain pan when I emptyed it. I assume this is normal?

Back