Ported '94 Blower

fturner

Hey folks,

I just installed my ported (I did myself thank you) '94 blower today, and all I can say is HOLY ~~~~!!!!!!! Manny, thanks for those pics that gave me a reference on what to do.

I'm running the stock '94 pulley for now, and judging from the fact the boost gauge hit 15psi going through 4000 rpm's and it still kept climbing and the car HAULED I am NOT going to put the '90 pulley on. I just launched from a stand still and she lit up and I had to go to half throttle cause it redlined and she just kept on spinning right into 2nd gear and going through 60kph.

I have a bad feeling with the air I'm pushing through the car now and still having the stock injectors and MAF that the car is going lean on me hence staying with the stock pulley for now.

Dave, guess I'm going to need to talk to you about a MAF and bigger injectors :D.

But WHAT a difference......

Last edited:
Snapshot of the outlet I ported. 1st time ever doing a blower. I cleaned up the inlet side and smoothed it out but didn't port it.

Attachments

• DSC00663.JPG
    DSC00663.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 307
frit,

did u go from having an early model to a late or did u already have the later one and just ported it ?

i have a 94 unported with a 5% and it pulls really hard.

i was thinking of sending it to manny and getting it ported similar to an s-port.

I went from an early model to the ported 94 with its pulley, with the intent of running the 90 pulley, but I'm holding off on that plan now because of the possibility of driving my injectors to 100 duty cycle. I think at this point I need to look at getting at least my AFR checked with the injector duty cycle before I go any further. Dyno time I guess :).

Want2LearnTBIRD, porting is done by using various methods like a die grinder and/or dremel or any other tool that removes material so you can "open" up an opening or a port such as the intake ports in the heads to allow more flow for air or fuel etc. If you compare a blower with a stock V opening on the top, and the 94 I ported yesterday, you'll see the opening is larger to allow more air out sooner.

You should ALWAYS do alot of research before you start cutting away, and get a lot of reference pictures etc specific to what your doing. All it takes is one little slip and you will end up trashing that piece.

Last edited:
You should ALWAYS do alot of research before you start cutting away, and get a lot of reference pictures etc specific to what your doing. All it takes is one little slip and you will end up trashing that piece.

if its your first time i would say get another blower to test this on first.. i had an extra 89blower that i ported just about as large as it can get with out welding.. put it on my 92 car noticed quite a bit of pick-up..

I've been hearing lots of good things if you port your intake/exhaust valves on your heads and do some mild ports on your blower. Glad things worked out for you. What about the intake manifold?

Also, does anybody have the specs on doing that blower port on ether a 94/95 or 89/93 blower. I have two of the earlier and one of the later. I also have an extra set of blue injectors and three sets of head waiting to be reworked. I'm thinking that the 90 could need 38lb injectors and a maf upgrade too once all the porting is done.

My 95 already rips the rubber off the tires when I get on it so I don't think I'll be doing much beside a mild port job.

For the intake side besides gasket matching the manifold and the heads, I actually "bell housed" the inlet on the intake which in theory is suppose to help "accelerate" the air into the chamber. I cleaned up a little around the valve guides as well but that was the extent of it for those heads. I have 2 extra sets that I'm going to start working on more seriously once I've finished reading a book I bought on how heads work and performance porting etc. The only other area I see that can get a little work is where the plenum attaches to the intake manifold, and perhaps clean up the sides going to the back 2 intake ports, but other than that there's not alot that can be done on the manifold without extensive surgery with a welder etc....

The porting I did on the blower, I precisly measured in 1/4" in from the edge of the existing V, except around the bottom of the V. Where you see the bottom on mine, is actually the bottom of the original V. I actually used a 27mm high impact socket to draw the round for that portion so it would line up precisly with the new edges. The 27 worked for me, but keep in mind I used the outside diameter so it may vary for you. I also chamfered the V a bit on the rotor side. I chamfered around the bottom of the bolt bosses and along the edge between the bosses.

As for the inlet side, it just smoothed out the inlet on either side but still left a lip . Other than that, not much happened there. There's not alot of material so I didn't want to take a chance of cutting through.

For tools, I used a die grinder with a carbide bit for removing most of the material, then used my dremel with a fine cutting bit to finish the cut. Then I used a flapper sander on the die grinder to smooth it out.

A disclaimer so to speak, this is by no means the best way to port a blower but it sure has worked for me ;). I'm hoping some of the more experienced guru's will step up and offer some more tips.

Last edited:
94-95 blowers are a lot of fun to add to the older cars when I add mine I could spin the wheels all the way up in to 3 gear. that was with 15% over drive and GTP rotor pack

Adding that blower alone will give you a nice gain. You should have done an s port on the inlet side as that is where you will get most of the gains of a port job

so let me get this right.
  • Fturner's porting job didn't require an injector upgrade but did require a cool air source. This must be an addition of a IC fan or something?
  • You can do additional porting on the inlet (S-PORT). I'd like to see what are the porting specs and what other requirement are involved. Is this posted anywhere?

Last edited:
Very true.. Especially when cut an extra hole in the case to allow even MORE air thru (*cough*Paul*cough*)

haha

A majority of what Fturner is getting is from the 94/95 blower itself not event the port. The s port on the inlet side should free up some more boost and cause for more efficiency.

I dont think at this point you need an injector upgrade or a tune.

Theoretically you can check your AR and get a different tune after every mod to mak eit ideal. But the switch of blowers without even a pulley..I wouldnt worry to much/

15psi though seems pretty high/ Hows your exhaust?

Blower upgrade

Hey Frit - Glad to her the blower worked out for you. Did you end up using the other parts, too?

JT

Hey Jim, I used the T/B as well, and my car seems to be idling a bit better because of it. The old T/B's didn't have the IAC adjustment screw like the later ones did and it seems to have brought that back in line. Thanks to you the car is a different animal now ;).

As for my exhaust, the manifolds got ported at the outlet to get rid of that compression ring ;) they had there, then its stock cats, to a Y into a 3" pipe back to the split into 2 cheapy turbo mufflers... no resonator. I have the newer style gas tank so I don't have those nasty turns the old style had. I plan to do a full exhaust upgrade come spring.

With the old blower, I would only get about 11psi at 4500 rpm's, and the car didn't have any pull left up there. As for the air temps, I'm still running the stock IC with no fan yet. Right now I'm lucky cause the weather is SC weather ;) so temps are not such a big problem...

All I did was smooth out the inlet side, but didn't want to take the chance of holing the blower out. Besides I didn't have any reference at all as to what an S-Port looked like on the inlet side, so I didn't take chances there.

So you think I'm ok with stock injectors and maf for now with the current setup?

ps: I know the nay sayers out there will say that the extra kick I'm getting from the car is just hear say and my imagination (especially since it was just a home port job :D) ), but what ever. The change is huge and very noticable.

Last edited:
Back