Do you have a full-blown race car?

CurtisPaulfrey

I was thinking about my SC and planning on what parts are going on it this next year.

I am so very tempted to make my car a "race car" for drag racing only, so my question for the Technical people are what do I have to do to make this car all out fast?

Right now the car is on 94 pump gas, if I talked to Mr Dalke about a tune would a SC run good on a leaded race gas and nitrous?

I'm about to pull the interior out and go from there.

i think you can delete o2's by using mil eliminators to keep the dummy light off.. not 100% sure though

Well unless you have a big wallet going all out race car will cost a lot of money and more hours than you can belive. i went the lighter is faster route. Anything the engine dosent have to turn is also good. My car is down to 3100 lbs. with me in it. I dont have a radio, heater, power steering, air. i do have Manual brakes and an electric water pump. Its still streetable but only barely.

Well unless you have a big wallet going all out race car will cost a lot of money and more hours than you can belive. i went the lighter is faster route. Anything the engine dosent have to turn is also good. My car is down to 3100 lbs. with me in it. I dont have a radio, heater, power steering, air. i do have Manual brakes and an electric water pump. Its still streetable but only barely.

I have my life to get it done, if you knew me you would LOL at weight reduction, my SC as a roller would still be 4k+ pounds :( I'll do a little bit here and there but I'm looking for the info on what has to be in the car.

So I don't need 02s? I could care less about CE lights

I was thinking about my SC and planning on what parts are going on it this next year.

I am so very tempted to make my car a "race car" for drag racing only, so my question for the Technical people are what do I have to do to make this car all out fast?

Right now the car is on 94 pump gas, if I talked to Mr Dalke about a tune would a SC run good on a leaded race gas and nitrous?

I'm about to pull the interior out and go from there.

what fun is a fast car that can only go to the track:eek::rolleyes::p;):D owell to each there own right?;)

what fun is a fast car that can only go to the track:eek::rolleyes::p;):D owell to each there own right?;)

The fun is in keeping your license since you arent getting busted street racing a fast car.. Or getting caught doing 140 in a 65 cause you had to beat the Vette next to you..

Curtis.. Leaded race gas will give your 02's about a 50 hour life in the car.. If its a track only car it means you can go a season or 2 without replacing them.. I would replace them every season as SOP..

As far as creating an all out race car.. First thing first.. Get rid of the IRS and go solid rear.. It is a waste of metal in the world of drag racing..

Then get rid of the weight.. Everything comes out of the car and I mean EVERYTHING.. Seat belts, sound deadening, speakers, amps, carpet, seats, take the dash out and gut it.. That includes AC vents, controls and ducts, radio, airbags, VMM, any metal brackets that serve no purpose other than supporting that dash (you need maybe 5-6 bolts to hold the dash in place when you are done.. Then move onto the engine bay and yank out the AC and power steering pump.. Basically remove anything that will have nothing to do with the car moving forward, backward, or stopping.. This is where it stops getting cheap...

If you wanna know more hit me up with a PM.. My 95 Talon is a little bit farther along this stage right now as I have about $3000 worth of carbon fiber for it but here is a picture of it the week i bought it 3 years ago when I decided it was going to be an all out race car (please disregard ugly ~~~ hood it was replaced with a CF one)

Sony0012.jpg

And here it is after that day. Note the not-yet-gutted dashboard, center console, sound deadening and engine harness are still in the car. Those were removed after this pic.

Sony0013.jpg

These are the most current shots of the car with ZERO interior in it except for the gutted factory dashboard that weighs like 10lbs now.. The only other thing going in the car is a 5lb Kirkey Race seat.

Maryland122.jpg

Maryland121.jpg

Maryland113.jpg

If you plan on going all out race car be prepared to spend ALOT of money.. If anyone tells you anything different then they never attempted to build one.. LoL

do you want to win races against other cars? You'll need to build for the class you intend to compete in.

If you live close to road courses I think you would have more fun building the car for a road course vs a drag strip. So many pieces on the car just get thrown away to make a drag strip. The suspension design is perfect for a road course and the power to weight ratio isn't too bad either.

If you are willing to throw out the o2 sensors, you might as well just swap out the motor and put a built small block or big block in there and run it carbed.

I have a full blown race car, but it's not a TBird. It's a 2900lb 1973 Buick Apollo (rebadged Nova,) with a 500 cubic inch engine in it. Frankly a 232ci motor in a car as heavy as a TBird as an all out race car is a rather difficult way to go fast no matter what you do.

l I'm looking to have fun with my SC and I'd like to keep the V6 in it, I don't want to be in a class or anything I'm just looking to beat myself and have fun.

The fun is in keeping your license since you arent getting busted street racing a fast car.. Or getting caught doing 140 in a 65 cause you had to beat the Vette next to you..

ah what fun is keeping you license :p;):D and well imo i think you could have more fun with a fast car on street then at the track.. and im not even talking racing the car on the street just how much you could show it off and how fast it is..

and like the others have stated its gonna cost you alot..

my uncle had a full race cobra (and not sure but think it was a 98) had a 514 in that beast.. every time the engine fired sounded like a shot gun went off :eek::D it was nice.. he could kill (shut it down)the car 1/2 way down the track and still run a 10.5 no NOS no turbo or blower.. it prob ran high 7-low 8s if it was hit on hard.. only sold the car for like 60k i think he had like 100-150k in to it atleast cant remenber..

some of you might have seen him out a mildan here in michigan.. would have been like 4 or so years ago atleast..

l I'm looking to have fun with my SC and I'd like to keep the V6 in it, I don't want to be in a class or anything I'm just looking to beat myself and have fun.

Curtis,

It all depends on how quick/fast you want it to be or how much power you want to make. You need to decide that before developing a plan.

David

You definitely don't need to make it a full blown race car to run 11's on the bottle. An MPX, good set of heads, good sized cam, and all other supporting modifications are good enough mods to do that. On a full weight SC, too.

You definitely don't need to make it a full blown race car to run 11's on the bottle. An MPX, good set of heads, good sized cam, and all other supporting modifications are good enough mods to do that. On a full weight SC, too.

I agree.. I was under the impression he wanted to run 9's or something.. LoL

I agree.. I was under the impression he wanted to run 9's or something.. LoL

Well I'll get a few things and see what it does on some MTs if I can get it into the 11's full-weight then I'll turn it into a sweet DD and run the crap out of it

You need to set a realistic approach to what you want.

Do you want a car you can race on teh weekends and still drive every day?

Do you just want an all out track only car...

Would you ever want to turn it back to a street car later down the road.

Each will have a different path

I used to be all about tearing my car apart for weight reduction...Now I like the overall package

You need to set a realistic approach to what you want.

Do you want a car you can race on teh weekends and still drive every day?

Do you just want an all out track only car...

Would you ever want to turn it back to a street car later down the road.

Each will have a different path

I used to be all about tearing my car apart for weight reduction...Now I like the overall package
=======================================================

Thats correct!!!!! As for me I'd rather have both in one. Its nice to drive a high 11 daily driver. I'm sure a few of these SC guys can relate to that. Just something special to be able to do that in these boat anchors and still turn on the stereo and AC on the trip back home.:)

Back