modified Maf question

midgetchaser

I have an 80mm mark VIII maf bridge cut out and all. as far as drilling out the sampling tube. Im assuming it would have to be drilled out to match size the injector you are running. Correct?

and would anyone know correct sizes?

15/32" for 19 lbs injectors sorry dont know any other sizes although it'd be good to know if anyone wants to chime in here

if you drill out 15/32 and go to 42 lbs inj then you will be to rich i had to drill and tap a hole into sample tub so i can adjust sample openning mine is fully adjustable now the stock hole works with 42 lbs inj if you leave the backing plate off and cut out center post

with stock inj 15/32 and cutting post makes it run lean this makes it run harder but when you upgrade to bigger injecters you need a different sample diameter but with stock inj its a nice mod some people like it some dont depends on how you sc was running before the mod . mine was rich did mod then it was slightly lean and ran way way stronger mid range

ok, i wont:eek:
but may i ask why, i have absolutly no idea whats going on here

I did it on my old setup (4.6) with absolutely no problems. The problem is that if you run it too lean (which can vary from car to car) then you break somethin. This basically boils down to this. It CAN be done, but why? Its not like making a FMIC here. You are changing the way that the car thinks, thus the way the car runs. Why would you change something like that when there are soooo many options available in the first place? You can do it right and not have to worry about it.

The way it works:
You have two or three wires inside the MAF. If you have a two wire system, one wire is super heated and the other is not. When air blows across the wires, the computer measures the temperature differental and gets the approxiamte volume of air that is entering into the engine. Now, this directly effects the timing and the fuel. (Just so you dont think too hard about it, the third wire MAF is taken care of on our cars by an outside (the MAF) temperatrue sensor to get the base temps from). So if you push more air through the sensor than the sensor sees, you are fooling the computer and it is runnng leaner than it does before the mod. There are different size tubes made to trick the computer that go with different size bodies. These are mated correctly to eachother to match your injector sizes AND *shameless plug for you Dave* are available at a reasonable price from Supercoupes Unlimited (Last I had heard) and other fine sales depots for our vehicles.

Chris

Thats the thing. Teh bridge mod in of itsel fwill probably giv eyou little to no gains. Any gain you do see or feel is probably from making your car run leaner. Not a good thing. Aftermarket Mafs arent even on teh mark..Modifying a factory one just isnt agreat idea. Especially with a supercharged engine

Just my opinion

if you drill out 15/32 and go to 42 lbs inj then you will be to rich i had to drill and tap a hole into sample tub so i can adjust sample openning mine is fully adjustable now the stock hole works with 42 lbs inj if you leave the backing plate off and cut out center post

yea i took off the backing plate too.

Back