94 auto tranny whine & backup lights

Rpdboss

I just got the 94 auto SC on the road legaly. I still have the speed related whine like a geared timing set or an old electric mixer. To rule out some things i put the rear of car up on jackstands, lubed up the U-joints and bushings while i was under there. Started it and put it in gear, yeo that same sound slowly speed up, all gears even reverse. While underneath i noticed the sound seems to be centeralized around the rearmost end of the transmission.after warming it up with a few miles of driving I checked the fluid and itwas a little overfilled to my eyes but clean red to me. I know the car seems to shift early and lug itself alot, manual shifting does the job better, maybe a bad TPS or MAFS? And lastly the backup lights dont work and the filiments are good, the car doesnt have a manual or a fuse cover so I dont know what fuses do what.

Check the manual lever position sensor Or MLPS could be the cause of the noise ,the shifting and the reverse lights use the switch to turn on and off...its located on the left side of the transmission and bolts over the shifter lever you cant miss it .It is known to go bad because of the lack of gasket on the factory one its around $40 from an autopart store the new one will have a gasket

Update: Took it to a good transmission shop

Nothing much came of it. The guy took it for a drive and when he was pulling back in the lot the lower radiator hose slipped off, oops forgot to check those. Well then it went up on the lift and he check some things out, connected it to a computer, no codes. When I came back to get the car I asked if he had checked the rear diff for fluid. Nope he forgot to. Well the spedo still reads 5-6 mph higher than its actually going and still shifts too early for my liking. So when I got it home tonite I put it back up on the jackstands and removed the rear diff plug. No fluid in fingers reach and plenty of dry paste like metal on the magnet. It took halk a bottle of lucas to start dripping from the hole. Oh and the wierdst thing was that my rear end after 1 hour since it was last driven was still very warm to the touch....
well the sound is still there just a little less

well, maybe its a sweet hidden blower whine:D
but really try checking the TV cable adjustment for the shifting and the rear diff is outta my league:rolleyes:

94's and 95's don't have tv cables

Opps, now we can all learn some new stuff every day. Did a engine off and engine off test along with a cylinder balance test, everything past.

Yes, I did seal off my sound ports on the blower

That'd be one hell of some blower whine but unfortunately its based on driveshaft speed instead of engine.

color of the fluid

when i pumped somefluid out it was a cranbery sausce color in a clear jar, slosh it around some and the film residue was a redish color as well, cant see through more than a half inch of the stuff

got the rear apart

I ended up shearing the two bolts holding the end support of the cover to the frame, then i open the case and found more glitter than a kids art desk. Seems the two smallest gears are worn as the move in and out when the wheels are turned. Theres a few stampings of 3.31's on the gears so Can anyone confirm thats stock in a 94 auto? Also i noticed that screatch sound is only present when turning the wheels in the forward direction, if turned the other way is pretty quiet, still sounds like the sound is around the transmission output bearing area.

Went thru it first tank of gas since it set. 21mpg :(

I got 385 miles out of my 94 auto trying to keep it around 10 inches of mercury and a few quick lane changes/ passes. I dont know how many engine on and offs the 94's need before the computer is happy. Also maybe a bottle or two of injector cleaner and a fresh fuel filter. I do have my fan set to run all the time so theres a slight engine load via the alternator. My old 5spd 89 would get 30mpg all highway and i cant seem to remember mixed driving....I do keep getting a code for the egr as the actual solinoid /vaccum thing sucks at its job, been cleaned once already.

Back